Chapter 5: Pomegranates

"So you're sure you want to see them?" Gabe asked me. "I know you miss your parents, but it might be strange. It's been three months since you died." 

I looked at him, cocking my head to the side.

"It has not been three months," I said. "It's been three days. Day one, Zed told me I was dead and I saw my mom. Day two, you took me to Eros' house and we worked the Ashmore job. Day three, we did the nursing home job. That was yesterday. That is only three days."

"No, it feels like three days here on the other side," Gabe said. "Time is slower for us, because our souls are just floating and we're not grounded. Human lives are on hyper speed comparatively. I don't know for sure if the afterlife is infinite, but it certainly is slower. At least, it is slow in purgatory."

"But, how is that possible?"

"Things are different," Gabe said. "You'll get used to this, I promise."

"Can I see my mom? I mean, you said if I just use my charm, I can become visible."

"No, Macy. The gods would be very angry. Zed honestly broke a few rules to get you the one meeting."

"Ok, I just want to check in," I said. "I can handle it, I swear."

"Ok," Gabe said. "Let's go to your mom's house."

He took my hand, and quickly, we were transported to my childhood home. How Gabe could teleport without a magic phone was beyond me. Apparently, working for Hera was much more exciting than being Aphrodite and Eros' delivery girl. I saw my mom washing the dishes, and my dad's socks were in the laundry hamper by the hallway. We walked over to my mom, and I saw her face. Her head shot up, as if she sensed something. She looked around, seeming confused. She took a deep breath.

"Macy?" She called out, waiting for a response.

"Don't touch that charm," Gabe said. "She can sense your presence because your bond is so strong. It happens."

"Has it ever happened to you?" I asked.

"Once," Gabe replied. "But it's not important."

"Who could sense you Gabe? Aren't you the stealthy guardian?"

"Honestly, you did once," Gabe said. "It was odd, and surprising. But once, after a rough treatment, I tried to touch your hand. You felt it, and you looked startled. But then later, you forgot about it. I guess you assumed I was just a side effect of some drugs."

"Oh," I said. "You tried to hold my hand." 

"I just wanted to help," He said. "You were so miserable and sad, and I just..."

"Thank you, Gabe," I said, smiling. He was kind, my sweet guardian.

"Macy, if you're here," My mom said aloud, chuckling to herself. "God, I sound crazy. But anyways, if you're here, I love you. I want you to know that I am alright and so is Dad. We're together again. I miss you..."

"I miss you too," I said.

"The truth is that I'm pregnant, just a couple weeks," she said. "You'll have a brother or a sister. I want to be happy, but I feel guilty. I just want you to know, it just happened. You're not being replaced, you could never be..."

"Are you sure I can't see her?" I said.  

"No," Gabe said. "But I can send her a message."

He twisted his ring, and suddenly, I saw his feet hit the ground. He was taking a human form, or a visible form, I guess.

"Hello Mrs. Castille," Gabe said.

My mother screamed, and I laughed, finding their interaction oddly entertaining. She looked like her heart could explode, but I knew she'd relax soon.