Heroic Hera: A Heart and Hades One-shot

This is a bonus chapter. It is a one shot from Hera’s perspective. I wanted to provide a little bit different perspective on some things. I hope you enjoy it. I’m sorry that originally I had planned to do a one-shot from Gabe’s perspective, but I wanted to change things up a bit. It’s going to start at a little different place in the story than I left off.

Also, if you don’t some of the mythology references (some of which are bent as I saw fit, because I wanted to), don’t worry. It’s not crucial to the story.

So, with that background information. Hope you enjoy it.

     I stared in the mirror, glancing at the reflection before me. It was the same as it always has been, as it always would be. All of the other goddesses had been through their own self-induced metamorphoses, changing every inch of their already perfect bodies to follow the fashion and whims of time. I’d never conformed to the changing times, although I did enjoy the short period when that painter made redheaded stunners a sensation. But changing myself seemed unbecoming. Yes, Aphrodite and Demeter could indulge in vanity and lust, but I had responsibilities. Literally, the entire universe rested in my hands. I didn’t have time to contemplate whether or not I’d look more desirable as a blond. But I was about to do something I did every week, and yet this week, I couldn’t help but hope for something different to happen. Sure, I’d been married for longer than half the cosmos had existed. And in that time, Zeus had cheated, schemed, and rejected me. During one period of time when I’d demanded his fidelity, he’d even had the audacity to take up the art of shape-shifting to try and fool me. That kinky bastard had done everything to push me away, but nothing hurt as much when he’d bedded Aphrodite. And that was saying something, considering that incident with Leda and the swan.

       Still, it wasn’t as if I could actually leave Zeus. No, divorce was no option for the Gods, especially not us. So, I had two options on how to find happiness to soothe my lonely soul. I could have an affair of my own, which would be difficult since none of the gods would even give me a lingering glance out of respect for my husband. My second option was to try and focus on my marriage, accepting that he’d never want to be faithful or even passionate towards me. We hadn’t been together in so long, and I didn’t even remember what it felt like to have a man’s lips touch mine. But sometimes beggars can’t be choosers, so I twirled my hair and let a few traces of blonde highlights soak into my locks. I blinked and watched the colors of my blue eyes deepen into a brilliant green, actually liking the change. I want my hands down my body, watching my curves puff out just a bit in my very revealing dress. Yes, Zeus would have to be dead not to notice me today. I’d always been beautiful, but today I put all of creatures to shame, and I knew it.

          Just as I finished preparing myself, I heard that tell-tale sign that Zeus was entering into my realm. The thunder roared, and I knew there must have been some particularly big problem by the way the sky lit up with lightning.

“Your highness,” a servant called from the door. “Zeus is coming.”

“Thank you,” I replied. “I will be with him shortly.”

She nodded as she turned to walk away, and I sighed. It was now or never, time to seduce my cheating asshole of a husband. I stood up and walked out, my shoes clicking on the ground. I hated wearing heels this high, but it seemed like something that wench Aphrodite would do, so I decided to try it.

        I saw Zeus standing by my window, his long white hair trailing down over his massive shoulders. Arms that looked like they were made of mountain rocks rather than muscles held him up as he pressed his hands against the wall. I knew when he turned that I would see his perfect clear blue eyes could make any woman, god or human, turn into a muddle of nerves and excitement. He was the most spectacular looking man in the universe, oozing masculinity and strength. We’d only been together on a number of occasions, since he’d done nothing but reject me since our union, but those nights had been hard to forget. I couldn’t even blame his mistresses, since he was so damn irresistible.