H&H Chapter 4: Visitation

“Take a deep breath, and take your time,” Hades said. “I’ve presented you with quite the choice, between saving the man you love and being reunited with your family ever again.  Just breathe deep, I can wait.”

“But…” I breathed out. “I’d be here, in the underworld, forever.” 

“You’d be tethered here,” Hades replied. “So you could never cross over, because you’d spend at least one day every year here with me, for all of eternity. You could go anywhere else all the other days, even spend it with Eros or working for Hera, like your beloved. It wouldn’t be so bad.”

I’d never see my mother again.

“I would like a request,” I said. “In order to make my decision, I’d like to see Gabriel. I would need to tell him, to explain myself. I could never betray him.”

“A loyal woman,” Hades said. “My, I can see why Eros is so taken with you.”

            “So may I…confer with him about my decision?”

“I suppose,” Hades said, standing. “I will have a servant go and fetch him.”

“Ok…” I said. My heart was pounding. I was going to see Gabe, with my own eyes. The man I love, here before me, and I could reach out and touch him. I could tell him how very sorry I was that he was suffering for me, and that I was still furious at him for taking my punishment. I could kiss him. I could tell him just how much I loved him, and touch his scar. I remember the days when my biggest concern was Gabe’s insecurities over hi scars, and shook my head. I would save him, I had to.

Hades stood to leave, and all I could think was Gabe, Gabe, Gabe. Somehow in the fog of nerves and conflict I was in, I had a thought.

“Wait,” I said. “How does sleeping with me get you back together with Helena?”

“That’s for me to worry about,” Hades smirked. “You just focus on your decision.”

He left, closing to door behind him. My hands shook and I took a deep breathe. I knew what I needed to do, what I had to do. I would have probably done it just to save Evan, but I could help Gabe. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had a dirty feeling crawling all over me. It was whenever I thought of the way Hades eyes looked when he said he wanted me, in his bed. Just one night, humans do it all the time. There it was again, my subconscious thinking I am not human.

            “I can do it,” I said to the air. “For Gabe, I can do anything. I have to. I’ll just do it.”

What would Eros think? Or more importantly, what would your mother think? I shoved down my internal voice, shaking my head. Could I really have it within my power to save Gabe ninety years of torture? No, I couldn’t do that because I felt uncomfortable. The door creaked, and my insides started to vibrate with excitement. It swung open, and Hades walked in. Behind him came two guards with a shackled prisoner, a man I barely recognized. Gone was the crooked grin and twinkling eyes on Gabe’s face, replaced with a sad emptiness. Bruises and bloody gashes covered his face, because after all, souls could bleed. It just couldn’t die, no matter how much it wanted to. I wanted to reach out and touch him, hold him. I jumped up, but Hades eyes stopped me dead in my tracks.

“Macy,” a hoarse whisper sounded out of Gabe’s mouth. I could’ve melted when he said my name, which was saying a lot for a resident of the underworld.

“You will be able to talk in a moment,” Hades said. He crouched down and stared Gabe in the eyes before Hades spoke again. “Gabriel, allow me to be clear. You are being given a temporary reprieve. If you try to escape or hurt anyone, Macy included, there will be no corner of the universe to hide in. I can make what you’ve been experiencing look like child’s play. But I suggest you enjoy your brief moments with your love.”