H&H Chapter 13: Puppet Strings

It’d been a day, of which was spent in bed snuggling and having a 90’s sitcom marathon.

“I just don’t understand why they keep breaking up. Rachel and Ross belong together.”

“I thought you didn’t believe in destiny,” I said with a chuckle. “And you’re just supposed to watch the show, it is funny after all.”

“I guess I can try,” He said, rubbing my shoulder.

“Although you know,” I said. “I am feeling better and we have yet to really talk about us. In the movies, when the guy finally gets the girl, they end up making out with some epic music in the background.”

“I am not opposed to that,” Eros said. “But I have a thought, in regards to the ‘us’ topic. I would like to, if you’re not busy later, take you out on a real first date.”

I looked at him and grinned.

“A first date? I know everything about you Eros.”

        “Yes, but I think you need some normal in your life…afterlife…whatever. Couples, if that’s what you want us to be, they all have first date stories.”

“And a lot of other firsts, I suppose…”

“So is that a yes, or should I take my arm off of your shoulders?”

“Of course it’s a yes, Eros. What will we be doing on this date?”

“Well,” Eros said, his eyes full of mischief. “It’s a surprise. I had Carmen plan it when you were asleep. From what I understood, Gabe’s first date with you was in a nursing home, so I think I can top that.”

“It’s not a competition.” I slapped him in the stomach, giggled. “Although I think I have to say, you win for best abs. I almost broke my hand.”

          “How about better kisser?” Eros asked with a wink.

“Well, there is only one way to find out,” I said, turning ever so slightly.

I brushed his lips just a bit. I could feel his face turn up into a grin as he cheeks were mere centimeters away from mine. He pulled me back in, and I climbed onto his lap. Everything blurred together, and all I could feel was lips and a gentle tugging as Eros threaded his fingers through my hair. I could barely breathe, but it didn’t matter, because pure bliss overtook me. Eros pulled away to let me catch my breath, and then moved back in with perfect timing. I’m making out with Eros, and this time, I won’t pull away. To be honest, I’d spent many a guilt ridden night thinking of this scenario in the underworld, where no one could see my deepest thoughts. Before, it was more about just wondering what we would be like together, what life could feel like if I chosen him instead of Gabe. But now, everything felt different. There was no hesitation, no doubt, and no sense of guilt while laying here in his arms.

          “We might want to slow down,” Eros whispered, as he pulled away.

“Why?” I asked him. “I’m not afraid Eros, of anything, when I am with you.”

“Huh,” Eros said. “That’s an odd thing for you to say. A few days ago, you were afraid of like, everything. Your feelings for me, I might add, were on the top of your anxiety list. I believe you once told me you couldn’t love a god,and now you’re ready for anything.”

“Not anything,” I said. “I just, I don’t want to pretend anymore. I love you, and if you want to take things further, I am ok with that.”

“So you’re saying,” Eros replied slowly, as if choosing his words. “That if I asked you to sleep with me, right here and right now, you’d say yes.”