Chapter 6: Scars

Minutes passed. For all I knew, it could have been years on earth. But in an instant, Gabe appeared before me, looking stressed.

“How long have you been looking for me?” I asked.

“Two days on earth,” he said. “I was just visiting Eros. He told me he sent you here, untouched and unharmed.”

“He told the truth; I can’t say he isn’t creepy as hell, but still.”

“I tried to stop his summoning,” Gabe said. “I’ll speak with Hera and work it out.”

“Don’t,” I said. “I don’t feel the need to anger a god. How was my mom?”

“Good, I told her you had to go save someone,” Gabe said. “She showed me your baby photos. I was trying to leave, but she insisted. You were very chubby as a child.”

“Oh dear god,” I said. “Aren’t the perks of being dead that your mother can’t embarrass you in front of your boyfriend?”

“I think the perks of being dead is having eternity together,” Gabe said, grabbing my hand. He laced his fingers with mine, smiling.

                “Gabe, we need to talk about this, us, whatever this is…”

“I suppose we do. But from what I understand, those words are never good.”

“No, it’s just, Eros said something to me about us…”

“That is definitely not good,” Gabe replied.

“Just relax,” I said. “Have you ever heard of Persephone?”

“Yes…wait, are you saying that if we….”

“If we ever had sex, we might be stuck here in purgatory. I mean, not that I was planning on…”

“We can keep it clean,” Gabe said. “Until we know more, we will be overly careful. Besides, we’re both virgins so we’ll be fine. It’s not like we have teenager hormones or anything, since we’re dead. I just like being with you.” 

                “And I like you,” I said. “And since we’ve established that our relationship is more than just lust, maybe we could try something.”

“Like what?” Gabe asked, smiling as he kissed my forehead lightly.

“I think you should show me your true form,” I said. “I like your current face, but it’s not you, and I know it. I know it’s scary because you have scars, but I won’t freak out.”

“You’re sixteen,” he said. “You think it doesn’t matter, how hideous I am. But I'll be the thing in your nightmares. You can’t unsee my true face.”

“Gabe, you saw me at my worst. I remember cancer Lacy, no hair, no color. I looked half dead.”

“But it was different…”

“When you’re ready, so am I.”

I pulled his face forward, brushing his lips. He always seemed to melt a little bit at my touch, like a man who hadn’t felt another’s touch in centuries. I didn’t want him to feel alone anymore. Somehow, I’d convince Gabe to come with me to the great beyond, to spend eternity with me there. I wasn’t sure if it was pain or guilt holding him here, but it broke my heart.

                The kiss went on, and I felt my head spinning. I didn’t know if kissing was the same way in life, but his lips felt like a lifeline and a perfect bit of ecstasy, all in one. Gabe pulled away and rested his head on my forehead, resting there.