preview

h e a r t b e a t

©TheFallingRain

excerpt:

"No..." I whispered, staring at Zayn. He was so perfect, his body muscular enough to be sculpted from marble, his eyes like a pair of jewels. And yet his face, his flawless, so-handsome-it-hurt face was twisted with a bitter, odd sort of sorrow. A deep regret that spoke of an entire lifetime he'd lost. He was beautiful, but he was broken. Maybe even more broken than I'd ever been.

And yet he was the one here, supposed to be fixing me.

Reaching out a hand towards him, I gasped as he took it in his larger one. "Your fingers are so cold," I murmured.

"I'm always cold, Valarie," he said. "I want you to forget everything. Forget about me, okay? I'm going to find a new assignment, someone new. And then we can stay apart, and it'll be like none of this ever happened."

Did he hear his own words? Did he hear my heart breaking?

Numbly, I whispered, "But what about the kiss?"

He swallowed hard, a strained look coming upon his features. "Valarie..."

"Don't Valarie me. Go, then," I snapped. "Some guardian angel you are." In a fit of anger, I lashed out, pounding my fist against his chest.

Fucking ouch. What the hell was he made out of, stone? 

A smile tugged at Zayn's lips, in an almost helpless way. "I'm going to miss you like hell if I do leave you," he said throatily, closing his eyes.

"Why can't you stay?" It came out a whimper. God, I sounded like a pathetic idiot.

"Because. You deserve better than me. I'm not human."

Oh, right, because angels were too low for me.

Stepping forward, I laid my hand on his chest, feeling the hardness of his abs(and trying not to swoon). But beneath all that muscle...

"Heartbeat. You have a heartbeat."

"That doesn't mean anything."

I raised my eyes to meet his, trying to avoid getting lost in their depths.

"Doesn't it?"

A/N: TRAILER IS ON THE SIDE, PLEASE GO CHECK IT OUT MY LOVELIES <3