chapter sixteen

"So I bare my skin, and I count my sins

And I close my eyes, and I take it in.

I'm bleeding out. I'm bleeding out for you... for you."

- Imagine Dragons [Bleeding Out]

"We have to get out of here." Cyphus' urgent voice broke through my stunned reverie. I closed my eyes and decidedly ignored him, running my fingers through Zayn's sweaty locks, his battered wings brushing my skin. Desperately, I willed him to move, to open those smoldering eyes or flap his annoying mouth and say something sarcastic or rude, or tell me to stop touching him.

He didn't do any of those things.

I felt a heavy hand rest on my shoulder. Cyphus.

"We have to go, Valarie. It's not safe here."

I took in a deep, shuddering breath. I knew he was right. Tasha had seen us at The Smoke Club, and she knew we were going to try to save Cyphus and Astral; she'd undoubtedly gone to warn Klaus when she ran away from us, after telling us where Cyphus and Astral were being kept. In fact, it was a miracle of sorts that Klaus wasn't already at the tower, with all his men, come to destroy us for slaughtering his precious demon. Whatever "business" had taken him away from the tower of Baille was obviously located a fair distance away, or else he'd have been upon us by now, launching a brutal attack.

Thank goodness he wasn't here yet. We'd need a good amount of time to get Zayn out of here.

Reading my thoughts, Cyphus said, "Astral and I can take Zayn--and no, don't protest, Valarie. We're stronger then you, and you know it."

I gave a small sigh, realizing it was true; they were angels, and I was just a little human teeanger. The thought made me mad, but my anger was nothing compared to my worry for Zayn. "Okay. Are we flying?"

"Yes," Cyphus said, while at the same time Astral blurted, "No."

They shot each other dagger-like glares.

"We can't carry Zayn while flying, Cyphus," Astral told the other angel.

He set his jaw in a sulk. "Why not? Zayn managed to carry Valarie."

"Yes, but she's tiny and light--no offense, Valarie," Astral added with an apologetic look. I merely rolled my eyes, playing it off cool. "Zayn's an angel."

Letting out an overdramatic sigh, Cyphus mumbled, "Fine. We'll carry him on foot, then." The two angels bent over Zayn, lifting their friend into their arms with an ease that I envied. How come angels got to be so strong? I could hardly do a push-up--or lift a sword, for that matter.

"Lead the way out of the tower, Valarie," Cyphus instructed, his voice muffled with the apparently not-so-easy task of carrying Zayn; one of the black-haired angel's wings was nearly stuffed in his mouth.

Never taking my eyes off Zayn's limp form, which resulted in me walking almost backwards, I began descending the stairs.

We would get out of the tower of Baille, and then find someone to help Zayn--maybe Marge? Except Collague was so far away...

Either way, my guardian angel would get better. Kordin couldn't have fatally wounded him. I refused to accept it. 

* * *

"Guys, not to be that annoying person or anything, but people are staring. Their stares might have something to do with the fact that we're carrying a bloody body," Cyphus said, deadpan.

Astral gave him a dirty look. "You already are that annoying person."

Unoffended, he gave a shrug. "Calling it like I see it."