chapter thirty

" 'Cause what about, what about angels?

They will come, they will go, make us special."

- Birdy [Not About Angels]

Oddly enough, I was the only one who didn't say anything in response to Klaus's revelation.

"You monster!" Zayn cried, the horror in his tone making my blood curdle. Surely there was no way he could keep his feelings for me anymore. I was a total freak--even though in this case I knew he was talking to my father.

"You're going to pay," Louis growled, his hot temper flaring in an instant. Renee gave him an exasperated look, her dark eyes unreadable.

Cyphus folded his arms in disbelief. "You're a liar."

Klaus didn't look at any of them. His cold expression was fixed on me, his eyes like chips of flint. He gave me a sinister grin. What he said was true. He knew that I knew. And he was enjoying every second he got to watch me break in two.

I didn't think he knew me as well as he thought he did, though.

I grabbed the Sword and began walking towards him.

Behind me, I heard the shock seep through Astral's voice as she called, "Val, what are you doing?"

I kept walking.

Tasha's eyes widened as she caught the determination in my eyes. Nudging Klaus, she muttered something nervous and inaudible.

I had almost reached my father when Zayn tackled me.

Pinning me to the ground, he positioned himself with one arm on either side of my shoulders, the Sword caught between our bodies. I sucked in my stomach so it wouldn't accidentally pierce my chin, staring up at Zayn with wide eyes. "Get off me!" I spluttered in rage, kicking him repeatedly.

"I won't let you do this," he said, his breath hot on my face.

"It's not your choice to make," I said viciously. Every part of me strained to put as much contempt into my voice as I could.

The only thing I really wanted to do was kiss Zayn till I was drunk on him, till I forgot everything else. But I couldn't give in to the slightest bit of emotion. As soon as I let him in, it was over. I would never have the strength to leave him behind and do what needed to be done if I surrendered to my feelings.

"Let me up," I commanded. I hardly recognized my own voice, and it scared the daylights out of me. What had I become?

Now that I was temporarily not a threat, Klaus regained some of his composure, taking the chance to mock me. "Yes, let the girl up, boy. See if she's half as brave as she thinks she is. See the truth: that she's selfish enough to let the world die for her, while she hides behind her bloodlines. She wouldn't spill a drop of her own blood to save any of you all."

I intensified my efforts to get up, pushing Zayn with every inch of my strength. "That's not true!" I screamed, my small fists beating against his chest. "Zayn, kill him! We have to!"

"Zayn, mate, I know you love her, but to kill Klaus-" Louis broke off as Renee slapped him. He stared at her in shock. "What the hell?"

"Don't ever suggest anything like that again. Don't even think about it," Renee said.

"I wasn't going to!" he defended, a note of pleading entering his tone. It was too late; Renee had already turned her back on him in disgust. She scrambled towards me and Zayn, kneeling beside us.

"Valarie," she whispered. "We need to get out of here. If Zayn lets you up, you have to promise not to go at Klaus."

"Here," Cyphus offered. "I'll take the Sword from her. Just to make sure."