chapter thirty-two

"If the darkness falls, and my angel calls,

in my despair, will you be there?"

- Wolf Bite [Owl City]

A cold moon partially obscurred by clouds was the only hearer of Tasha and I's light footfalls on the streets of Charoum. My half-sister kept a good three yards ahead of me, which I was fine with. I wasn't in the mood to listen to her practice making evil schemes, or whatever it was that the rest of my messed-up family did in their free time. 

I knew I should be using any spare minutes to come up with a plan to get myself out of this twisted deal, but my brain had decided to shut down right when I needed it most. There was nothing I could dream up that could save me from this, and the hopelessness of this realization sapped my energy from the inside out. My thoughts had been wiped clean, leaving only a pit of tension in my stomach and a definite edge in my movements. 

"How much further?" I called through gritted teeth.

"Not that much," Tasha said impatiently, scouring me with a disdainful look. Apparently keeping up on midnight traversions through the entire city was a skill everyone but me had learned. 

"How do I know the cure will work?" I persisted, quickening my step a little to catch up with her.

"You give some to Zayn," Tasha responded dryly.

I rolled my eyes. "Obviously. But-"

She stopped so suddenly that I slammed into her, earning myself a mouthful of blonde hair. Spitting out the strands, I wiped my mouth and blinked up at the block of a building we had stopped in front of. It wasn't marked at all on the outside; no signs, posters, or labels. A pair of double doors painted what had once been red were the only barrier--a barrier which Tasha didn't hesitate to nullify with a powerful kick.

I forced myself not to flinch at the sound of tearing wood, coughing at the cloud of dust that arose as the doors crumpled inwards.

"Couldn't we just have forced the lock?" I said, glancing towards the rusty bolt on the floor.

"Maybe. But it's more fun to kick doors in," Tasha said with a smirk. Maybe we were related after all. 

"Yeah, I know. You kicked Renee's door in," I muttered. "You're paying for repairs, by the way."

The two of us stepped into the building. "Classic hiding place for Klaus," Tasha explained. "Our father dearest shouldn't be here now, but there's a possibility that Keer is."

My jaw dropped. "A demon is here?" I whisper-hissed in  frenzy. "And you kicked the bloody door in?"

She shrugged. "Keer knows me. You're the only one in danger if he wakes up." There was an uncertainty in her eyes that made me wonder if she was lying, but then again, it wasn't like she'd hesitate to push me in harm's way to save herself. I had no reason to believe that I wasn't in mortal peril--even moreso than usual, I mean. 

Inwardly, I was kicking myself. I should've known she'd pull something like this. Why hadn't I thought to bring a weapon with me?

Out loud, I only said, "Fine. Whatever. Just be quiet and let's get the cure."

We crept through the first two rooms. I kept an eye out for any pieces of furniture or other obstacles that I might trip over, but there was nothing. Both rooms were bare, save for miry shadows and splintered moonbeams that had found their way in. 

Goosebumps rose along my arms as a cool night wind found its way through the now-unguarded entrance, chilling me as it whisked over my skin and ruffled my hair. A soft creak sounded from the floorboards under Tasha's feet, and both of us stopped immediately, glancing around with wide eyes. There was no sign of a waking demon, and I breathed out a sign of relief.