chapter ten

"Look at the stars,

Look how they shine for you."

- Coldplay [Yellow]

Zayn and I headed out of the ruined, chaotic club, making our way to the other side of the street, where Cyphus and Astral were already waiting. Both of them had their wings outstretched, and despite having seeing angel wings before, I couldn't help hanging back in awe. 

Mesmerized, I took in the sight; Astral's wings were a light, shimmering silver-blue, while Cyphus' were coated with the slightest sheen of gold. 

Personally, I decided that Zayn's were still my favorite pair of wings, but I doubted that would be taken as relevant or necessary if said aloud. Plus, I dreaded the smug look on Zayn's face if he ever caught me thinking that, let alone admitting it. I'd already embarassed myself enough, by asking to touch his wings, that first night I'd met him.

"So, what's the plan now?" Cyphus asked, studying his fingernails as casually as if he'd been asking if we wanted Chinese or McDonald's.

"You just knocked out three Enforcers," I blurted, like he didn't already know that.

Astral gave me a small smile. "I'm sorry you had to see that, Valarie. I don't normally succumb to violence, but, well... Zayn--and you--were in danger."

If I had to guess, I would say that Zayn's safety mattered a whole lot more than mine did to her; I doubted she'd have stepped in if Zayn hadn't been the numbskull he was, and risked his own neck for mine.

So that was what it meant to be a guardian angel. I shuddered, knowing I could never be that selfless. Yeah, there had been the time I'd thrown myself at Uncle Jack to stop him from shooting Zayn, but that had been more blind impulse than anything else.

"It's fine. I've already seen enough violence," I told Astral. "Besides, that awful lady had it coming."

"You realize who that lady was, right? She wasn't just any regular Enforcer. She was an actual member of Council," Cyphus said, his tone almost nonchalant. The easy way he was able to talk about our near-death experience unnerved me. "Her name's Shay Woodley, and she's known for being absolutely cutthroat."

Oh. Well that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks so much.

Sensing my fright, Zayn moved a little closer to me, so that the leather of his jacket brushed the bare skin of my arm. I shivered a little, wrapping my arms tightly around my chest. Holy fuck, what had I been thinking, going out in this tiny dress? Forget Council and the threat they posed to our safety, I was going to die of hypothermia instead.

No one else seemed to notice my discomfort, and I wasn't really in the mood to voice it, deciding to suffer in silence.

Cyphus and Astral, who seemed to be the brains of our little ensemble, were muttering together in hushed tones. By Zayn's stiff stance, I could tell he wanted to butt in on the conversation, but restrained himself, kicking at a rock on the ground instead.

"Okay. First thing we're going to do is head to Council headquarters," Astral said.

Throwing up his hands in shock, Zayn said, "What? Are you guys nuts? We just knocked out two Enforcers and a freaking member of Council. We knocked out Shay fucking Woodley. She'll skin us alive once she's awake. We should be running in the opposite direction. Why the hell-"

"I want to go to headquarters," I interrupted, causing his amber eyes to bug out a little. More quietly, I said, "I have to know. About if I'm related to Kenneth Arrowan, I mean."