Pete

Hunter looked at me, "I don't think we should make any rash decisions right now. I mean, the both of you are excited because you found out something that you didn't know before. Your excitement is hindering your thinking. I think it would be best if we figure out some other things first before heading to the black-zone."

"Maybe he's right," Caleb shrugged. "How about we pick out the people that are supposed to go with you? A group of five will get you there... did he mean you included or a group of five and you?"

"I think he meant me included," I said.

"Okay. So we have four people left. Who are your options?" Hunter asked.

"Marie," I said. Marie is my only friend. I doubt anyone else would want to go with me. "Even still, her parents might not let her come with me."

"Well we won't know that until we ask her," Hunter said as Caleb kept quiet.

"I'll go with you," Caleb said after a few minutes.

I looked at him with a shocked expression on my face, "What?"

"I said, I'll go with you. The men don't need babysitting."

"Uhm, okay. I guess," I said.

"What about the one in charge," Hunter asked Caleb, nudging him.

"Who?" I asked.

Caleb sighed, "He's talking about the clown. Hunter, he has no way of knowing."

"He knows everything," Hunter whispered. "Maybe he's even listening to our conversation right now."

"Stop it with the paranoia," Caleb said and Hunter kept quiet.

"Have you ever seen the clown?" I asked them, my curiousity getting the best of me. The clown hasn't been seen in public since he became the ruler.

"Yes. Every single one of my men has," Caleb said while Hunter nodded, confirming his words. "You have to say the pledge in front of him first. My brother, Max, refused to because all he wanted to do was draw. He felt he had no business in war... in the men. That was the last time I ever saw him speak. When they let him go, I thought the clown was being merciful. Next thing I know, he's convulsing and dying in my arms."

I walked over to Caleb and placed an arm on his back, rubbing it as gently as you would a new born baby. "I thought he died because the clown gave the order to have him permanently removed. After Hunter's vision, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. What if he staged his death to get away?" He asked.

"Lets not come to any conclusions yet. The whole point of this is to unravel the mystery," I said and removed my arm from his back.

"The men talk, you know. I've heard things about the clown. I'm not sure if they are myths of if they are really true," Hunter said, his eyes darting around. "They say he has a secret he doesn't want the people to hear about. Something about the past and Utopia."

"My parents told me stories about Utopia when I was young," I said and bit my lip, holding tears back again.

"I heard about Utopia too," Caleb said, rolling his eyes. "The perfect place. It's all made up if you ask me."

"It isn't. I know it isn't," I said a little more firmly than I intended.

"You've never been there before so you can't know if it exists or not," Caleb said.

"If what exists?" A familiar voice said from the door. Pete.

"Haven't you ever heard of knocking?" Hunter said, beating me to it.

"I chose not to," Pete said bluntly. "What were you talking about?"

"Nothing. So you can leave now," I said, dismissing him. The way he treated me is still embedded in my mind.

"You are no one to tell me when to leave. I live here, you don't. Know your place," He said, pointing his index finger at me. "Caleb, are you going to tell me what the secret is or am I going to have to find it my own way?"

"It's not a secret," Hunter said.

"Then why won't you tell me about it? Perhaps if you tell me, I'll forget that my duty is to inform the clown of whatever it is you are planning," Pete said, leaning casually against the wall. "I can help, you know."

At his last few words, I snorted. I doubt he even knows what it means to help someone.

"Do you have something to say, thief?" He spat.

"I am not a thief," I said, crossing my arms. "And just for that, I won't tell you anything."

He rolled his eyes and motioned for Caleb to speak. I shook my head and narrowed my eyes in warning.

Caleb, fully aware of my disapproval, stubbornly told Pete everything.

"Well, there you have it. I expected the betrayal to come a little later but I guess this is it," I said, crossing my arms.

Caleb simply rolled his eyes at me and cleared his hair away from his forehead. "So what do you think?" He asked Pete.

"It's practically impossible but with me on your side," Pete said proudly.

"No." I said. "He's not coming with."

"You need five people and you don't know anyone else," Caleb argued.

"We will find someone else. Anyone but him. Have you forgotten what he did to me?" I asked, raising my voice.

"Put it aside, Dana," Caleb said.

"Hunter?" I begged for him to be on my side but he shrugged.

"He's right. Pete will do us good," Hunter said.

Just like that, Pete was part of us. Even though this counts as a betrayal already. Pete is not to be trusted but Hunter and Caleb refuse to acknowledge it.

A/N

I know this chapter took a little longer than I promised but it was hard getting into writing again after exams. That's why it's a little rusty. Perhaps the next chapter will be better!

Anywhoo now to the best part :

*drumroll*

This chapter is dedicated to because of her support! She's writing a book called "Crawlers". Check it out!

Don't forget to hit that little star button and tell me what you think of the chapter.

Hugs and kisses,

Becks ❤