~2~

Boys leering at her.
Staring, mocking, laughing.
They all thought she couldn't hear them.
No one bothered to hush their voices.
But she heard every word, and it pained her.

Sienna was now sitting on a large rock surrounded by boys staring at her. The green-eyed boy was knelt down in front of her, continuing to ask her the same questions. He asked, she signed, he rolled his eyes and asked again. She tried explaining that she couldn't speak but it was useless.

"What is so difficult about answering me?! I haven't even started asking the hard questions yet!" The boy spat at her, pushing her slightly. She crossed her arms; there was no point in trying to sign anymore. It was just exhausting.

Then, she had an idea. She got up and grabbed a stick. Everyone's eyes were on her. She knelt down and wrote in the dirt by her feet.

My name is Sienna. I am mute. I am from Hawaii.

She looked up at the boys around her. "Mute? So you can hear us?" A boy spoke. She nodded. "Have you been cursed?" Another piped up. She shook her head. "That's the stupidest excuse I've ever heard." The green-clad British boy scoffed. Sienna looked down then wrote again.

I've been like this since birth. I am just not capable of speech.

"Seriously, knock it off." The boy spat.

I can sign. It's how I communicate.

"Prove it. Show us something," he demanded. So, without flaw she did the whole alphabet in sign language. Each sign was different, there was no hesitation. It was clear this wasn't something she was making up on the spot.

"What you even say?" He asked her

Alphabet

She wrote into the ground. It seemed too easy to her. She had to remember not everyone learned sign language since 7 years old. "Are you serious? Why do you do that?" The green eyed boy asked. Oh this boy was getting on her nerves. How many times did she have to explain she couldn't talk?

She motioned to her mouth, then made an X over it with her fingers. "Oh, right." He nodded. He looked at what was written. "Well, Sienna, how old are you?"  She made the sign for 17, then wrote it in the ground.

"Oh, so you're about the same age as everyone here

"Oh, so you're about the same age as everyone here." Another boy spoke. The boy with green eyes nodded. "Well then, welcome to NeverLand, love. I'm Peter Pan." Those words made Sienna start laughing silently.

Neverland?
Peter Pan?

No, those were juvenile fairytales. "What's so funny?" 'Peter Pan' asked.

Peter Pan is just a fairytale. Neverland doesn't exist

Those words written there in the dirt angered Pan. "You're from the world without magic...they all think that. So stupid." He spat. He used his booted foot to scrub away the words Sienna had written. "Get up. Come on. I'm going to show you something." Peter grabbed her shoulder and led her into a worn down looking tent.

From the outside, the tent looked ready to collapse. But on the inside...wow. It was furnished. It looked like a mini house. It was clear it was built to look abandoned so people would leave it alone. Peter Pan sat down on a leather lounge chair. "So what will it take to get you to believe me?"

She shrugged. She kept her arms crossed so she didn't sign anything and confuse him. He held his hand out away from his body and a green spark appeared. It glittered in the light. He kept it there for a moment then closed his fist around it and it vanished. Sienna's eyes widened.

"Believe me yet?" He smirked. That's not possible she signed. "What? Oh wait, I have an idea." He stared at her face for a moment, then was able to read her thoughts. "It's not possible?" He scoffed, "I'd like to think it's very possible. After all, I can do this." His smirk returned.

Sienna stared at him in shock.

(And another chapter! What do you think?! I love feedback! Also go look at my Instagram and vote for a cover!)