The News

The news felt like bricks were dropped on his heart. All the air in the fancy restroom seem to be sucked out the door. He couldn't find any air to breathe, except feel the dry, rawness of his throat, and the lump that was forming, constricting him. The temperature dropped, and the long sleeved button up he was wearing, no longer seemed comfortable.

"Josh, did you hear me?" The hollow tone of his niece's voice was muffled on the other side. She was on the verge of tears, or already sobbing. He couldn't blame her. Tears were welling up in the ducts of his eyes.

Trying not to get choked up for her sake, he took a hard breath. "Yeah, Riley, I did." Being strong was harder than he thought. His mind was asking his heart why he was being so sensitive all of a sudden, but he didn't think too long when the next words came out his mouth. "Where are you?" He knew she would be where ever her best friend was, or not too far behind.

"Bellevue," she inhaled deeply, probably because she was sobbing quietly. "We—"

"I'm on my way," hanging up the phone, he took a minute to gain his composure. The words came out without a thought. Why was it so hard for him to think fist before speaking, usually he was good at that. It's what his parents taught him, and it's what kept him out of trouble.

Then again, anything with the name Maya Hart, was far from not being in trouble. The mess ups, the guilt, the unexplainable situations. All was because of that girl. He never thought before he acted with her. It was always go.

And why? His feelings for her were still indecisive. She was good and bad for him all at the same time. But that was his mind talking. His heart though? That's a completely different feeling. Something he wasn't sure he was comfortable with just yet.

Making his way out of the mens restroom, Josh made his way back to the table at a fast pace. The girl sitting there was very pretty. Her natural red hair was long, draped over one shoulder. Her eyes were piercing green like the spring grass, and her cute freckles dotted her face, even with the light makeup she put on. She had a bright personality, which was one reason why he was so intent on going out with her. She was sweet, simple, very polite, and old fashioned. Not to mention smart as hell. If it weren't for her, he would be failing at College Trig. He had no reason why she accepted a date with him, the guy she was tutoring, but she did. And here they were, first date, completely ruined.

"Somethings wrong," she stated, as he approached the back of the seat in front of her.

He fumbled with his phone, and inhaled deeply. "My niece called. One of my friends was in a car accident not too long ago. I have no idea what's going on, and I need to get to the hospital."

"Oh no. I'm so soory. Um. . ." She fumbled, getting out of her seat, trying to think. She looked at him. "Go. Don't worry about me, I have a Metro Card to get me back to campus. Go." She smiled sweetly, but sadly too.

He gave her a side hug, and she immediately obliged. "Thank you, Em." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a 20. "Here. Dinner is on me. Take it please."

She looked at it for a few moments. "Because I know you'll just argue with me, I'll take it. Thank you." She leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. A sweet gesture, but he didn't feel anything. Even hugging her seemed too friendly.

He grabbed his jacket, and left the restaurant without another word. Once he was out the door the cold bite of the winter air hit his cheeks, and he sprinted for the hospital. He didn't register the fact that he wasn't going to know any information this soon. It had been what, ten minutes since Riley's call? She knew nothing about the situation, other than the fact that Maya was admitted to the emergency room because she was in a car accident.