Emotions

Previously on Rescuing Hart:

Riley hugged Josh, then her best friend. Farkle walked over, holding bottles of root beer. "Happy New Year, everyone." Maya gave Riley a look, before they both kissed Farkle on the cheek at the same time. Though he had a girlfriend, that didn't stop his from turning red. Josh chuckled, and before he knew it, the girls did the same to him. Everyone had a good laugh.

As Josh stood with these three people, he felt a sense of calm come over him. He was ready for the year and all of it's obstacles. He would stand by the people he cared about and trust that the universe knew what it was doing. And one thought came to mind, as he wrapped his arms back around the gorgeous blonde in front of him:

"And suddenly you know . . . It's time to start something new and trust the magic of new beginnings."

Chapter 10: Emotions

 It's the moment you think life is working out just the way you want it, that something or someone has to screw it up in a matter of seconds. Because that's all it took. Seconds.

Maya Hart reached her hand over to the passengers seat for her Beastie Boys CD, her eyes never leaving the road. She was still a relatively new driver, considering she lived in a city that allowed her access to everything by foot. Her step-father, had been gracious to let her borrow his nice black Camaro for the long weekend, while he did some work in Quebec, with her mother tagging along. Maya was supposed to go, but they had to leave two days ago to make sure Shawn was on time to the event. She ended up having an Algebra Test and a few other quizzes that she couldn't miss.

Her decision to drive to the cabin upstate was a last minute deal. Zay had texted her, cancelling their study session, letting her know that he was going on a date with Isabella Reed, a Brazilian girl in their College Algebra class. Why did he want to go on a date with her? Maya had no clue, but she didn't judge, as long as he didn't express any interest in the girl's friends. That would cause a rift in friendships.

Why? Because Missy Bradford just so happened to be Isabella's best friend. Maya could gag at the thought of the name. The girls were very similar to Riley and Maya in the last few years of high school, not exactly, but to a point. Missy and Bella always seemed to make a contest out of everything with Maya and her best friend.

For instance, Riley and Maya are very popular on social media. They like to post photos to Instagram, and do the whole hashtag and all. Maya preferred tumblr, because she liked to blog about her art work. Anyway, she and her pumpkin have taken over half of their photos together, doing different poses in onesies, matching t-shirts and hats, or well, you know, as Riley calls it . . . best friend goals. Though Maya said she didn't care whether or not they took photos, and she was only doing it for her best friend, she really enjoyed it. She loved her friendship with Riley, and loved advertising it to the world. She really believed there was no other relationship like theirs.

Missy Bradford wanted that. She was jealous, and made it completely obvious, no matter how much she denied it. She and Isabella would copy the things Maya and Riley did, and sometimes would make complete fools out of themselves. For the longest time, Maya and Riley would ignore her attempted interjects into their personal business. Matthews could care less, because she had Lucas, and her relationship with Maya was completely intact.

The blonde on the other hand, had more to lose. She knew her relationship with Riley was strong, and that would never change, but Maya had other aspects in her life that were still in the unknown territory. These things could easily be snatched away.

So on this lovely Friday afternoon, Maya had been given some hope, only to lose it within a few seconds.

She had a habit of looking in her rear view mirror every few minutes. It wasn't that she was paranoid or anything, but just something that became instinct. Not to mention that the pastel pink Volkswagen Beetle Bug behind her had been riding her ass since getting on Lincoln Tunnel.