Sunburns and a Sick Maid of Honor

Previously on Rescuing Hart:

If everyone could see the person Maya was in his eyes, she would be untouchable. Her determination and new outlook on life was beautiful. She wasn't a person who was going to fall down in low times, but rise like the fierce warrior she was. Yeah, she has some insecurities. Nobody s completely sure of themselves, especially at her age, but she's more woman the most women he knew. Maya Hunter was a force not to be reckon with.

And Joshua Matthews was falling.

Falling hard.

Chapter 14: Sunburns and a Sick Maid of Honor

Hiking down the mountain was a whole lot easier than going up. It took them about two hours to all get down safely, and pass the guard. It was 9:30 AM by the time they were to the vehicles. They decided to walk around the small town to find food to eat. Josh overheard Riley on the phone with Topanga.

"Yes mom. We left early. After going to bed when we did, we all just naturally woke up at 6 AM. We found a couple trails to hike around just outside of the city. We did get a small bite to eat at the hotel before we left, but we are about to actually go get a real meal now." She waited for her mothers response. Josh thought it was very comical to hear his niece blatantly lie to his sister-in-law. "Mhm. Yeah, Farkle has a couple friends here on the island who we met up with at the trails. They are showing around the area." She looked at her uncle and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

He sighed. "Want me to talk to her?"

"You want to talk to Uncle Josh?" She asked, and soon gave up the phone to him.

"Hey Topanga," he said.

"Just tell me that everyone is with you, and nobody is lost or hurt," his sister-in-law sighed nervously.

He chuckled. "Everyone is perfectly okay. Farkle's friends know the island really well since they live here, and they know the trails. We're all good. I promise."

"Okay good. Hearing it from two people makes me feel better," she said. "By the way, Eric and Wendy are flying in around 11 this morning. Once they're off the plane, we'd like to have lunch with everyone, and then spend the rest of the day by the pool and the beach."

He knew that it wasn't a choice for them, so he agreed. "So be back at the hotel by 11:30?" He asked.

"Thank you." She said. "Love you, have fun!"

He nodded to himself as their conversation ended. Giving the phone back to Riley, he relayed the message for everyone else, who agreed. They all reached the sidewalk in an area where a cookie cutter town sat on the island. He caught up with Maya, and laced his fingers through hers as they walked.

They reached a small cafe that was serving breakfast. Josh could smell the bacon and eggs, and then something very sweet, like pancakes or french toast. His stomach rumbled, and his insides ached for food. They all entered and placed tables together, so the could all sit and enjoy each others company.

"I'm going to pass out by the pool later," the blonde said, yawning.

He chuckled, following her action. "Same. It's been a long night."

Kai watched them both. "You two are together?" Without really knowing how to answer that without saying it was complicated, the couple nodded. "And you are her uncle?" He motioned between Josh and Riley, to which they both confirmed. "Is that strange?"

Riley laughed. "Is it strange that my best friend uncle have a thing for each other? Yeah. A bit. But, it's not really weird, because he's not much older than us. Only three years. Though he is my uncle, I look at him more of a cousin. It makes it easier."