Investigation

Previously on Rescuing Hart:

"You kissed her?" Riley whispered, smiling.

Josh sighed. "It was once and it didn't last long. We didn't even talk about it afterwards." His niece sat across from him on the couch, interested in hearing more. "Okay, so we talked about us for like 10-15 minutes. You're dad would have a cow if he heard that story, which is why he's not gonna know." Josh was barely audible.

She shook her head. "Oh, I know, but it's not that he doesn't approve of you and her, it's the age difference for him too."

Josh shrugged. "Honestly, the age difference doesn't bother me anymore. It's Cory and Shawn. Maya is like a daughter to both of them, and they're both my brothers. I can understand it being a little strange for them."

Riley crossed her legs. "They'll get over it, eventually. I'm glad you and Maya are close, because if she becomes best friends with anyone else besides me, at least you're still family."

Josh leaned in to hug her, when he felt his phone buzz. It was really late. Who could possibly be calling me this late at night? He looked down at the name at the top of the screen.

Shawn Hunter.

-

Chapter 4: Investigation

"Is she okay?" The first words out of Shawn's mouth were spoken before Josh could even say hello. "Please give me something good, Matthews." Huh, that almost sounded like the male version of Maya talking.

Josh sighed. "Maya is fine as of right now. She's out of surgery, but she hasn't woken up yet." He thought best to leave out the fact that they lost her once or that it's up to her on whether on not she lives, or the fact that the accident wasn't an accident. That could be told for a later time. No need to worry them more by saying there's a chance she won't be okay or she's still in danger.

"Oh thank goodness." He could here Shawn's breathing steady on the other end, and his muffled voice, telling Katy the news. "The roads are open, but she skies are not, so we are renting a car as of right now. We should be there in the morning. Call us if anything changes."

"You don't want to know her injuries?" Josh asked.

There was a moment of silence. "No. I don't want to think about that for the next eight hours. It's best if we don't know those details until we get there." He had a point, if either of them were thinking about Maya's condition while driving, there could be another accident in the family.

Josh nodded, forgetting that Shawn couldn't see him. "Okay. We'll see you when you get here. Drive safe."

"Will do." Before hanging up, Shawn's voice came back. "Oh, and Josh?"

"Yes?" His voice was a tad nervous, not exactly knowing why. Was it nerves of his family just now finding out about Maya and Josh going to Shawn's cabin, or the fact that Shawn hasn't found out yet?

"Katy and I would like to thank you for being there for Maya. We know that Cory, Topanga, Riley, and her friends from school are always there, but knowing you are too is much appreciated." Josh was stunned. That was probably the most genuine thing Shawn has ever said to him, at least to his knowledge.

"Well that's what happens when you care about someone. I'll always be here Shawn, if you need me." Shawn was family to Josh, way before Maya was even placed in his life. Shawn was Cory's siamese twin. Brothers. Josh would always be there for his brothers.

The call ended, and Josh was sucked back into the silence of the room. Riley was curled up on the opposite side of the couch scrolling through her phone. Her chocolate brown eyes were glassy. Zay was back, and so was Farkle. They were having a quiet conversation on the other side of the room.