Security Footage

Previously on Rescuing Hart:

Josh sat down, and ran his fingers through his hair. If only he could have seen it sooner. He looked back through his text messages. There was nothing. He hadn't really got his phone out for anything since he'd gotten to the hospital. Basically to only call Shawn and Katy, but he used his voice activation for that.

He went back to his call log one last time, and saw a small notification on the right hand corner under voicemails. Clicking on it, he saw her name written across the top. She had left him a voicemail too?

Something inside Josh screamed at him to not listen to the voicemail. He was afraid of what he was going to hear, but the curiosity got the best of him, and he clicked on her name, and quickly putting his phone up to his ear. "Hey Boing," she asked, and he knew she had to have been smiling. "I don't know if you're busy tonight, but Shawn let me take his Camaro out for a spin, and I'm going to the cabin. Shawn knows I'm going, and was just wondering if you wanted to hang out. I haven't seen you since the college fair, and I miss—." She gasped really loud, and the message cut off.

Chapter 5: Security Footage

The universe had to be messing with him. How could he have subconsciously known that she called him? He wouldn't have dreamed about that, unless something triggered it. Yes, he did know that him picking up the call probably wouldn't have stopped the accident from happening, but it still bothered him that he never heard his phone go off. And it wasn't on silent.

If he had been away from it, why didn't Andrew hear it? If he saw that it was Maya, he would have picked up the phone with or without Josh's permission.

He let the others listen to her voice mail again. Riley sighed, uncomfortably. "The accident would have happened either way because it technically wasn't an accident. Don't feel guilty for something you couldn't do." She was right. His thoughts and feelings were just scattered, and he was only looking for someone to blame. The person he should be blaming right now, was whoever had caused this.

The elevator dinged, and Smackle walked through, along with Andrew. Josh stood up to meet his roommate. "Dude, what are you doing here?"

Smackle smiled. "I found him lurking out in the snow."

Andy smirked in her direction, before pulling a bag off his shoulder, and extended his arm to him. "I figured you might want a fresh pair of clothes, that were more comfortable. Plus, I wanted to come see Maya. How is she?" They quickly filled him and Smackle in on the events in the last hour. Horror struck to both, when being told about the close call with death. "Well, she's fighting," Andy said. "That's all that matters. Is she allowed to have guests?"

Josh nodded, "I'll walk with you." They went to the bathroom first, just so Josh could change his clothes. It felt nice to walk back out, wearing baggy sweat pants, and comfy long sleeve sweater, instead of his rough denim jeans, and his nice button up shirt. Though he still wished he could shower.

The two college kids walked into the room. Cory and Topanga were sitting on the couch. Katy was still holding Maya's hand, and Shawn was rubbing her arm. Her mother spotted them first. "Andrew, what are you doing here?" She tried putting a smile on her face.

"I brought Josh clothes, and I wanted to check in with Maya." He said, before looking over at Shawn, who was studying him. "You must be Shawn, Maya's step-dad. I'm Andrew Fields, Josh's roommate." He stuck out his hand to shake.

Shawn took it. "It's nice to meet you. I didn't know Josh's roommate was friends with Maya?"

"He comes to the cafe every Tuesday and Thursday, between four and five." Topanga said, matter-of-factly. "It's usually the time Maya and the others are there doing homework. He orders a Mocha Latte, with an extra expresso shot. Every time. It's good to see you, Andy."