Panic! At the Flight

Previously on Rescuing Hart:

"Wait." Riley said. "What happens next?"

Her blonde best friend clasped her hands together. "I guess we're gonna have to wait until Carla's found. Let's not worry about it. I don't think Missy is going to be a problem anymore though. She has a lot more issues to deal with than bother me."

She smiled, not knowing the exact reason, until she looked at her friends. Missy was jealous of them. And just like the morning in Hamptons, she felt gratitude. She didn't know what she'd do without the people she loved.

Chapter 12: Panic! At the Flight

It had been a two months since the court case. Three months since the accident. Life seemed to be getting back to its normalcy. Other than the fact that Maya still wasn't back at school. She had been waiting for her therapist to say something about that. She was getting antsy. Her back was better. She was now able to stand and walk for a longer period of time, more so than she was able to around her birthday. She just wasn't allowed to lift heavy objects.

She rarely used the wheel chair now. It just sat, folded up in her room. Her back was the least of her worries. The most she ever had to worry about now, was panic attacks. In this last month, she had begun to remember more of her accident. The parts before she had passed out. It was like her nightmares were focusing on the sounds going on around her, drowning out the pain she was feeling in the moment, because you can't feel in a nightmare.

So waking up to the sound of a car crashing into something, or the feeling she'd get when she was in a small space, would set her off. Her heart rate would sky rocket, and she would begin to overheat, and breathing would be difficult. She would have a hard time controlling them, and she thinks that she scared Shawn out of his wits the last time she had one. He was clueless to know what to do. She didn't blame him for freaking out, it was something she didn't know how to resolve either. Her mother would try her best to help her, by turning on the noise fan in her parents room, telling her to try and focus on the constant sound. It helped to feel the vibration of the fan. This was something that she was going to have to get in control of before she started back in school.

She had been doing fairly well in her classes, considering she was at home. Now that she was able to go back over to the Matthews in the afternoons, she was able to ask her Government Teacher questions at the dinner table, which he seemed more than willing to answer, apparently feeling vey accomplished that his "rebel student" was willing to learn after school hours. She had been partnered up with Farkle for their economics project, so he came over every other afternoon to do some work, as well as go over the class assignments so he could turn them into the teacher when she was done with them. She, Riley, Lucas and Zay did College Algebra homework at the Bay Window every evening after dinner.

Did she mention that it was a blessing to be back in her rightful spot at the window?

Though her brunette best friend did not have class with them, she still was assigned the same homework as the rest (their teacher was really good about keeping all the classes in line with one another).

Physical Education was only possible with Uncle Jon's help. Her Physical Therapist signed a paper after every session, giving her the credit she needed for that class. She was told that once she returned, the most she would be able to do is run laps, and participate in a few games until she was told that she could play dodge ball and kick ball.

Art was simple for her. Aside from Mr. Matthews, Mr. Jackson was the most understanding about her situation. She did the assignment as told, and turned it in before the due date. Yearbook was a breeze. Plus it was almost done with. She had already submitted the design, and pages of the book. It was now up to her classmates to input photos and captions, to which she would review, and approve of or change. Because she was senior editor, Mr. Carlson allowed her to use her own art for the cover design. He was sure that the book would be given an award, and have it's own place in the magazine (yeah, that's a thing).