Secrets and Misunderstandings

Previously on Rescuing Hart:

Parting again, she rubbed her thumbs on his temples, still holding his face. "Though everything that's happened, I'm glad it happened the way it did. I understand that we needed to figure things out. I don't think you were selfish for telling me you liked me, when you were still confused. We're supposed to play the 'Long Game' right?"

"You were so sure back then. You knew exactly how you felt. I wish I had known, but then I also came to an understanding that whenever we decided that it was the right time, I wanted us to last. I want this to last. This last year, I had been finding ways to see you, or talk to you. Ever since that night in the cabin, my heart knew how it felt, whether I wanted to admit it or not." With his last word, she placed her head in the crook of his neck, inhaling his cologne. Her fingers fiddled with the collar of his shirt. He pivoted his head, so he could kiss her forehead.

Maya didn't want the night to end. If she could stay in that moment, she would forever. "Is it time?"

Chapter 11: Secrets and Misunderstandings

If she could have prepared for this moment before, she would have. Not knowing the questions to be asked, she couldn't exactly practice her answers. Though she was not on trial for anything, because in all cases, she was the victim, Maya Hart still had some unspoken mysteries she left in her closet, underneath the rug, never to be talked about again. That was a promise between her and the whole group of friends.

Her palms felt clammy, even holding Josh's hand in the pew of the court house. She clenched his hand tightly, almost as if he was her only lifeline. This happened when she was nervous. He rubbed her thumb, and his eyes met hers. They were understanding, and sweet. She could almost hear him saying, "It's going to be alright," but nothing came out of his mouth. Maybe her mind was telling her that, and she just imagined it was his voice telling her.

To her left, Riley had her arm hooked around her best friend's. Lucas took the seat beside Riley, who had his arm around her, his hand, brushing Maya's shoulder, squeezing her lightly in reassurance. Farkle, Smackle and Zay took the row behind her, while her parents, and the Matthews sat up front. Shawn glanced back at his step-daughter, and smirked at the linked hands. She was happy that he approved of them, but she still respected the conversation the night before, when Josh had walked her back downstairs after their "movie date."

As Maya and Josh entered the Hunter apartment, Shawn was sitting on the edge of the couch, with pictures spread all over the coffee table. He did this almost every night, deciding on which photos to use as a display on the website, and which ones to add to his increasing portfolio.

Katy had gone to bed. Being pregnant made her want to fall asleep earlier. Not to mention, she had a full day of work, and that could have worn her out as well.

"How was the shoot in Staten Island?" Josh asked, as Shawn peaked his eyes above his glasses, noticing their presence.

Putting his glasses down on one of the photos, he said, "It was great. The observation wheel is really nice." They had a short conversation about each other's day before he made a comment. "I need to talk to the both of you." Their ears were all his. "Not saying I don't approve of this," he motioned the space between the two young adults, "because I do. I just feel like maybe making it official after Maya knows she's going to graduate." He looked at her. "Right now, you are on a boarder line. You are taking most of your school on your own time. Being in a new relationship requires a lot of attention, because it is so new. I don't want you two to begin something, and it end so quickly because you both are too busy, or not graduate high school, because you are focusing too much on the relationship. I can't tell you what to do obviously, but I want to give you the best advice I can."