Off to Sea

Charles's P.O.V

I woke up with the sun in my eyes, it was awfully quiet in the room I was in. When I looked around I realized that I was in the infirmary. Skylar probably brought me here, I wonder where she is? As if on cue I heard someone breathing next to me. It was Skylar, she had fallen asleep on the couch next to me. She was sound asleep her breathing was even, and she looked so peaceful. In my opinion she looked beautiful and stunning, but I wouldn't ever say it out loud. Me and Skylar have always been good friends, and the truth is I have always wanted to be more. I doubt she feels the same way, but somehow I know that deep down she does feel something for me. It has been two years since she had ever shown any type of affection for me but I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Two years earlier

Me and my friends all waited at the beach waiting for skylar to come. We had all planned on going boating for the day. I was especially excited because I got to see Skylar. When I saw her coming in a navy blue silk dress I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat. "You're finally here" I said with a radiant smile. "Yeah, Mary wouldn't let me leave she said that I shouldn't be included in your friends affairs." "You have nothing to worry about I promise." Skylar looked at me for a second probably not trusting me, but then she smiled and took my hand. I wouldn't have believed myself either my friends can be quite rude and judgemental at times. Especially Charolette, I guess you can consider her the mean girl. Even though her father is one of the lowest ranked nobles she still believes that she's better than everybody else. When we got on the boat I sat right next to Skylar to make sure that charolette didn't pick on her. "Hey Charles, Skylar" charolette said from across the boat she walked over and sat next to me. "Hi" I said with a smile Skylar just slightly waved and looked down. "Charles can I talk to you for a minute?" "Yeah sure" I looked at Skylar and nodded. "So what did you want to talk about?" She looked around to make sure no one could hear her then spoke. "Me and the group thought it would be fun to prank Skylar, we thought that maybe you could make her look down at the water than I could push her." My first instinct would to be to push her over the boat but I didn't. I can't believe that anyone would do something like that to Skylar she is the nicest person I know. "Charles what do you think?" "NO". She looked at me surprised at my outburst. "Excuse me?" "I said no you can't do that to her she's my fiance she is also the next queen of France so you will respect her as your queen do you understand". I said as more of a demand than a question, I had never felt rage like this before. "Sure your majesty, unless you want your mother to know that you were in the wine cellar last night." She wouldn't dare tell my mother I would be in so much trouble, but I also can't do this to Skylar. You know what I don't care if I get in trouble as long as nobody touches Skylar. "That was a pretty long conversation, what were you talking about?" Skylar asked when I sat down next to her. "Oh, well she um..." "Charles you can say it." "Charolette wanted me to distract you by making you look into the water and she would push, and if I didn't she would tell my mother that I was in the wine cellar." "What was your response?" "I quickly said no to her and walked away" I didn't want to meet her eyes but when I did she immediately hugged me. "Thank you you're a good man charles."

"Charles wake up!Mary and Francis are getting ready to leave!" I woke up from my day dream to Skylar shoving and screaming at me to snap out of it. "Sorry I was thinking of something" " Well whatever that thing is isn't nearly as important as saying goodbye to your brother." I didn't quite agree with her but at least pretended to so she would calm down for a second. If I'm being honest I would miss saying goodbye to Francis to see Skylar. After Skylar helped me put on my vest she helped me walk out to the deck where Mary and Francis would be boarding the ship. "Oh Skylar finally your here I thought you might miss us." Mary said with relief. "Please be safe I know how rough the seas can be, and also remember to be prepared when you reach Scotland the Protestants can be quite violent." "I know you two be careful as well make sure to watch after the crops and to keep a close eye on the nobles, oh and Charles make sure to protect my sister if anything happens to her you answer to me." "Yes of course Mary I promise I'll watch over her." She then smiled and boarded the boat, me and Skylar waved, then went back to the carriage.