How Close?

Charles's P.O.V

    "Charles! Wake up you have a meeting to attend to." I woke up to Mary yelling and hitting me with a pillow. "Owww why would you do that?" Charles said yelling in confusion. "Because your late and Francis can't leave to get you now hurry or I'll drag you out of this room myself." "Alright I'll be right there I promise." Mary smiled at him and started walking near him and Charles thought she was going to hit him again so he raised him arm to protect himself. Instead of hitting him she patted him on the shoulder and gave him a hug. "Good luck little brother you'll need it Francis isn't in the best mood right now." Great Francis is in a bad mood that's just going to make this day harder than it already is. "I would hurry if I were you." "But I don't want to go to that stupid meeting." I said in a pouty voice. "Well if you want to have time to see Skylar I would hurry." With that Mary walked out the door and I quickly got dressed. After I was dressed I ran to the throne room and walked into the meeting with messy hair and untied boots. As soon as I walked in the nobles started to get up and leave, I must've come way to late. Damn it! "Charles can I speak with you please." I heard Francis say in a tired and frustrated tone. I walked towards him and stopped right in front of him. "Where we're you at all this time?" "I was asleep I'm sorry I've been in the infirmary for weeks waiting for Skylar to wake up and I haven't slept in days so-" Francis stopped me by putting his hand up and spoke. "I don't need to hear your apology all I need is for you to be more responsible, when you are King the nobles won't except your behavior." If Mary was hurt Francis wouldn't blink for days but I knew there would be no point in arguing with him he would always win. "I understand brother I'll do better I promise." Francis nodded and smiled at me as he patted my back. "You can go now Skylar's awake I'm pretty sure you'd want to see her." "She's awake where is she?" I asked excitedly. "Last time I saw her she was with Lucas in the garden he's been watching after her." "But Charles make sure yo-" I wasn't able to hear Francis finish his sentence because I ran straight out of the throne room to the garden. When I got out there I looked all around me to find Skylar. I then saw her beautiful brown hair and ran towards her, when I finally got there it was the wrong woman so I kept looking. About two minutes later I saw her sitting on a bench by the roses, just as I was about to walk up to her Lucas came and sat next to her he gave her a cup of tea and they sat there laughing. For some reason this made me feel even more uneasy than when Ethan was visiting. I finally snapped out of it and walked up to them. Right when I was going to say hi Skylar noticed me and quickly stood up and hugged me. "I missed you so much, where have you been all day?" As she said this she started to release me from the hug but I just hugged her even tighter. "Okay Charles I think your crushing me." Skylar said jokingly I then let go and Lucas stood up and we gave eachother a man hug. "So how did you rest your bags have kind of gone away." "Well they would have completely gone away if Mary didn't beat me with a pillow this morning." Skylar started to break out laughing me and Lucas were so confused we could help but laugh as well. "What's so funny?" Lucas asked her. "I just can't belive Mary actually did it." She said while.still laughing. "Did you tell Mary to do that to me?" All Skylar did was nod her head and laughed even harder. When Skylar was finished with her laughing session me her and Lucas went to the dining room for lunch. Usually only the royals are aloud but Francis has a soft spot for Lucas he treats him as if he were his brother. Francis and Mary sat next to each other while Catherine sat next to Lucas. Skylar and I sat next to each other on the other side of them."So Skylar how have you been feeling today?" Catherine asked Skylar while eating her steak. "I'm doing okay my nose still hurts and it hurts to think sometimes but I'm doing better." "That's good what about you Charles did you get enough sleep?" "Oh of course, I woke up beautifully this morning." I said sarcastically and everyone laughed especially Mary and Skylar. "Lucas how have things been with you besides your mother's passing." "Things have been tough all around but other than that I'm doing pretty well." We all continued to eat our meals while chatting with each other. While I was talking with my mother Lucas and Skylar were smiling and laughing the whole time. He kept telling her jokes or stories that always seemed to make her laugh. "Then when the dog ran out the door I had to chase it all the way into the pig pen, when I finally caught him I put him in the bath. By then I was already filthy so I bathed myself in water too." Lucas said to Skylar she started laughing and smiling widely at him. I had finally had enough of this so I stood up and asked Lucas if I could speak with him. "What is it Charles?" "What is going on with you and Skylar?" I could've been a little less subtle but my jealousy had taken over. Lucas looked at me confusingly then spoke. "What do you mean? We're just friends we've known each other since we were little all of us did." He wasn't wrong we have all been friends for a long while, but I still have a feeling somethings wrong, or maybe I'm just over reacting. "We haven't done anything I promise we're just getting closer as friends, like we used to be." "How close?" "Charles I told you nothing is happening I would never do that to you your my best friend." Lucas is right we are best friends what is happening to me? "I'm sorry I shouldn't have said all those things my jealousy took over and I couldn't keep it in." Lucas simply smiled at me and put his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry I completely understand, I would've done the same thing." With that we both walked back to the dining room and sat down.

Skylar's P.O.V

   "So what was that about?" I asked Charles as he sat down next to me. "Oh nothing just wanted to ask him something." "Hmmmm." After dinner the royal family went to go watch the fireworks outside, the moon was bright and the whole castle was excited to see the lights. Me and Charles walked out together and sat down on the grass. "I'm going to get some treats just in case we get hungry." Charles said as he stood up and walked off. While Charles was gone I looked for Lucas so I could have someone to talk to. When I found him I saw that he was talking with a girl, she had blonde hair and was wearing a green dress. Just the sight of him with another girl made my stomach squeamish. After about a minute of staring at them Lucas caught my eye, he then ended his conversation and walked towards me. "What's wrong?" Lucas asked me. "Nothing just waiting for Charles to come back." "Where did he go?" "He went to get some snacks for us." Lucas simply nodded and sat down next to me. "So you won't mind if I keep you some company?" "No I don't mind at all." I know I shouldn't feel this way but I can't help it. While me and Lucas were watching the fireworks Charles showed up with a fruit basket. "Sorry I took so long the servants were looking for the pomegranates." Charles said as he sat on the other side of me. "What did I miss?" I just looked at Lucas and he was staring at the sky. "Nothing Lucas just came to keep me company." Charles just smiled and scooted closer to me. Near the end of the night I started to get sleepy so I layer on Charles's chest. "Darling are you tired? I can take you to your chambers." I nodded slowly he then picked me up and walked towards my room. When we got into my chambers Charles layed me down on my bed and covered me with my blankets. "Good night my love." He said as he kissed me on the head.