Chapter Eleven

"I need to meet you.

H.G"

A very small letter yet Draco read them over and over again. He sent a message back asking where they should meet.

"Why do you always have a cigarette in your hand?" Haillie asked, watching him read the letter and holding a cigarette in between two fingers.

"Stress." was Draco's only reply. He didn't even look up.

"Can I try one?" Haillie asked, grabbing his cigarette.

She made to put it to her lips but Draco frowned deeply and took it back from her. Sighing, he rolled his eyes at her.

"This stuff will kill you." Draco stated, smoking it again.

"Do you want to die?" Haillie asked.

Draco didn't reply. He put his cigarette out and still stared at the message. A small tap on the window made him jump up and practically run to it. He ripped open the paper and read it:

"Meet me in the leaky cauldron in five minutes."

"Leaky cauldron." Draco muttered and stood up.

"Good luck dad." Haillie grinned.

She was extremely happy for Draco. At least he was trying.

Draco went into his room and pulled jeans, a top and a jacket over it before shouting 'bye' and disapparating.

He entered the Leaky Cauldron nervously. Sitting at a table at the back, his fidgeted with his fingers and kept his head down. The Cauldron was depressing and black. Although Draco wasn't bothered. His thoughts were on Hermione.

"Hi," A voice whispered behind him, cleared their throat and said a bit more loudly, "Hi."

Draco turned around and his stomach gave a jump as his icy eyes landed on Hermione. His eyes travelled down her. Her luscious brown hair looked do soft and her lips were so much fuller. Her top was tight fitting and her jeans emphasised her long legs.

"Sit," Draco cleared his throat, "Sit down."

Hermione sat and looked down. Draco stared at her, drinking her beautifulness into him.

"So... Um..." Hermione started then stopped.

"Yeah... Why did you call me here?" Draco said, getting straight to the point.

"I don't... I don't know... Malfoy," She looked up into his eyes, she stopped and stared at them, "Your eyes are beautiful... Just like Haillie's."

Draco smiled and nodded once and Hermione shook her head, clearing her thoughts. A moment of awkward silence passed. Hermione didn't want to look Ito his eyes and Draco couldn't stop looking at her.

"Why did you leave? That day?" Hermione asked in a whisper.

"You said you loved Ron." Draco said, his eyes never leaving her.

"I'm getting married in a week." She glanced up and Draco controlled himself.

"Congratulations." He managed to say.

"Dra- Malfoy-"

"No. Call me Draco."

"Draco, I don't want to lose you... I mean... I'm marrying Ron but I want to... be friends with you." Hermione said, shrugging, "You've been such a big part of my life."

Draco double taked. He wasn't expecting that. He sat up straighter.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

Hermione nodded.

"Your kids need you and we have been together for... It just... It doesn't seem right. So let's just be friends? Okay?" Hermione asked.

"Okay." Draco nodded but he wasn't too sure of the idea.

An awkward silence fell over them. Draco stared at Hermione, thinking. He wasn't sure it was a good idea for them to be friends because he didn't know if he would be able to control himself.

"Just didn't work out..." Hermione muttered.

"What?" Draco asked, leaning towards her.

"Us. We just didn't work out how I thought we would. It's strange isn't it? You were willing to do anything for me and you loved me so much, you even became friends with Harry." Hermione was looking straight at him, leaning in closer.

"Do you wish we stayed that way?" Draco whispered, so close to her.

Hermione waited for a few seconds. She blinked and moved back. She stood up, hitching her bag up her shoulder.

"I'll talk to you later. I have to go to Ron," Hermione said firmly.

She nodded once and left the Cauldron. Draco chuckled at her cuteness and watched her leave, her hair swishing from side to side.

-------

"Soooo?" Haillie nudged Draco, "How was it?"

"Fine." Draco replied, sitting on the sofa.

Wanting peace and quiet so he could think. Haillie didn't give up.

"Details, please." Haillie said, sitting next to him.

"She said we can be 'friends'," Draco use two fingers to emphasise the word 'friends'.

"Really? Wow that's a... surprise." Haillie said, a bit disappointed.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Haillie crossed her legs and looked up at the ceiling, resting her head back as she thought how to explain it, "She... spoke really bad about you. It was like she hated you but she loves you I know it."

"She should hate me." Draco stated, shrugging.

"No. She shouldn't. She wouldn't ask you to be friends if she hated you. She loves you deep down."

Draco shrugged and looked down. They talked most of the night and finally went to sleep.