Chapter 14: A Kiss, A Big Misunderstanding

Song: I See the Light-Tangled (Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi)

¤~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¤

Nadine:

4 days ago

We, Saif and I, talked all night. We had a lot of catching up to do. He knew I had broken up with the jerkface but I didn't bother him with the details, mainly because I thought he wouldn't be interested, and honestly, I didn't want to relive all the moments.

"So what brought you here, Nadine? To this city, where you're a complete stranger." Was his first question.

"Good question." I said, "I don't have the answer to that though."

I did. I wanted to run away from Karachi. I didn't hate the city, I didn't hate the people, except for the sexually perverted, desperate illiterate-literates. I wanted independence. I wanted to be free. And most of all, I wanted to escape from all the horrible things. I mentioned earlier that I wanted to leave everything behind because of something that happened recently, something which I hid from everyone, including my best friend, Nimra. The sexually perverted minds and the desperation of many people, including the so called 'elite literates' is very dangerous. Especially when you're their victim. Which I was. Rape and molestation is still considered a taboo, many still believing it solely to be the fault of the girl, and not due to the sexually perverted desires of the guy. I won't blame my country for it though, because such a predator-prey relationship is seen all over the world, including the US. I didn't want this to get to my head. I wanted to prove I was strong. Maybe coming here didn't give the right message, it may show me as a coward, but I wanted to runaway from all of this, start anew. I still went to work till the time I did not get my visa and work permit for Turkey. After this I took the first possible flight to Istanbul, a place where I knew no one and no one knew me. Coming here for 'work' was just an excuse. I really didn't want anyone to know, so I kept it inside. Maybe it was my mistake to not report it to the concerned officials, but I didn't want my parents to go through this, they would blame themselves for not being able to protect me. Although I knew it was neither their fault nor mine. And so, I concealed the truth with a fake smile, without letting anyone know I was molested by a pervert.

"Earth to Nadine, Earth to Nadine, do you copy?" Saif said with his face right in front of mine. "What happened girl? Why are you so lost?" He nudged me.

"Oh um. Nothing."

"You didn't hear anything that I told you now, did you?" He said in a disapproving tone.

"Yeah I'm sorry, I got carried away in my thoughts." I continued, "would you like some coffee?"

"Sure."

I wanted to distract my mind from everything. I was in a new city. I didn't want the past to haunt me.

"Happy thoughts Nadine, happy thoughts." I tried to get my mind off of everything.

After this, the rest of the night went okay-ish. Saif showed me pictures of his elder brother's wedding.

"My mom's after me to get married and settled now. I recently did my Masters, I want to enjoy my bachelor life for a while. I'm only running away to England so that I can escape from this constant bugging." He complained.