III: Decisions

Sasuke walked downstairs into the kitchen only to find his mother and brother. 

"Good morning Sasuke." Itachi said.

"Morning aniki." Mikoto looked at her two sons and smiled.  Not to long after she finished serving the two boys breakfast Itachi left to get his mission.  Mikoto looked at Sasuke and saw him having some inner conflict. 

"Sasu?  Is everything alright?" She asked causing Sasuke to come back to reality. 

"Y-yeah everything's fine."  He claimed before eating more of his food.  Mikoto raised her eyebrow but didn't question Sasuke's change in attitude.  She began telling Sasuke about what's been going on, even though he already knew about it.  Mikoto was trying to spark a conversation. 

"Mom?" Sasuke interrupted.  Mikoto looked over to him curiously.

"Yes Sasuke?" She replied.  Sasuke took a deep breath before looking her in the eye and asking.

"What would you do if I was gone?" Mikoto froze and looked at her son with confusion.

"What made you think of that? Sasuke why would you ask something like that?" She asked frantically assuming he was referring to him dying.

"Mom I- never mind." Sasuke said before standing up and walking out of the room. Mikoto just sat there confused trying to think of a reason Sasuke would think of such a thing. Shaking it off she stood up and began collecting the dishes.

$&$&$&$&$&$&$

Sasuke sat under the cherry blossom tree thinking about what Sakura said the other day.

"Deep down you know you don't want to hurt him."  

As much as he hates to admit she's right.  He can't bring himself to fight his father no matter how bad he treats him.  In fact Sasuke should consider himself lucky that his father isn't like Sakura's dad.  But all he can really think about is the fact that he has to leave in two months, knowing he won't see Naruto or Sakura again.  He has to leave just so he can develop a 'relationship' with a girl that he doesn't even know squat about!

It brings a bitter taste to his mouth knowing that he, Naruto, and Sakura won't be able to become chunin together.  They won't be able to eat at Ichiraku as a team.  They won't be able to mess with Kakashi and annoy the crap out of him. 

He doesn't like it.  Not one bit.

But he can't change anything.

There's nothing he can do about it.

$&$&$&$&$&$&

"But Daaaaaaaaaad" Minato sighed and shook his head. 

"Naruto, it's your punishment for that prank you pulled.  Now keep working." Minato instructed.  Naruto groaned and looked at the papers in front of him.  For his punishment he had to help his father sort out papers.  Not only did Naruto find it very boring, but he was to jumpy.  He needed to run around.  "You know the chunin exams are going to take place a couple months from now, once you're done here you might wanna  get Sakura and Sasuke to go train." Minato said trying to start a conversation.

"Yea, that's if I finish." Naruto muttered dejectedly picking up a paper to read its contents.  After seeing that Naruto was going nowhere in his work Minato sighed. 

"Alright you're done." And right after he said that the papers in Naruto's hand were floating down to the ground, Naruto was gone, and Minato could hear faint shouts of 'WOHOO' and 'FREEDOM'.  He sighed again and shook his head with a smile.