Chapter Ten

EMILY POV

The next month flew by. Declan had started school and was already making friends. And Ian, Ian was surprisingly...perfect. Almost too perfect. He spent practically every waking moment with Declan, from helping him with homework to playing outside to watching sports.

"Lauren! Lauren!" Declan squeeled as he ran up the stairs to the railing where I was standing. "Look what dad got me!" He continued, holding up a box that contained what I assumed was a new X-box.

"Oh my God! Thats so cool, buddy! But I hoped you're ready to get your butt kicked in Call of Duty," I said, winking at him.

He laughted, "I'm gonna go get it set up!" He said as he ran down the stairs, almost knocking Ian down. Ian only laughed as he continued up the stairs. Once he reached me, he wrapped his arm around my waist and I lay my head on his shoulder. We just stood there, watching Declan before Ian finally spoke up.

"I still think it's a good idea," he said. I looked up at him curiously.

"More kids," he clarified.

"Ian," I said warningly, pulling away from him. I knew exactly where this was going, and it wasn't gonna end well.

"I don't understand," he said, I could practically feel his blood beginning to boil. "You'll raise my son, but you refuse to give me children of our own!"

"Ian, I-I can't," I said.

"You can't, Lauren, really?" He asked. "What are you so afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid of anything, what I wanna know is why you're so caught up on this! Besides you wouldn't even claim Declan as your own so why the hell would you want more kids?" I retorted.

He stares at me for a moment, but then we realized Declan was watching us. A deadly silence fell over us like a thick fog until Ian stomped away, slamming the door behind him. I sighed.

There was more than just the fact that I was kinda being held captive and Ian didn't even realize it that prompted me to say no. I had a secret.