Chapter 29 - The wolfman and the snow queen (FINAL EDIT)

In the end, Abbie was forced to seek shelter. The snow just kept on falling, making it an absolute chore to keep marching. Even with the GPS, it was nearly impossible to keep on course – everything was just dark and uniformly white at the same time. As much as she wanted to reach the cabin, she knew she had to stop. In the morning, rested and fed, she'd continue in daylight. Hopefully, it would stop snowing.

She found shelter under a large spruce with low-hanging branches. With a minimum of effort, she had a snow cave ready to go. She had no tent, but she didn't need one. The snow provided protection from the wind and the cold both. She put on some more layers of clothes, then curled up inside her Järven thermal bag. Another gift from Felix.

She had dozed off, only to be woken by a wolf howling nearby. That was both strange – there were no wolves around these parts, hadn't been for decades – and disconcerting. Wolves didn't normally go after people, but there was still something feral and frightening about them.

The howling got closer and closer until it was nearly on top of her. She should have gotten more worried the closer it got, but it was the other way around. The howling didn't sound quite so terrifying up close. She couldn't explain it, but she was confident the wolf meant her no harm.

On a whim, she called out to the wolf. The howling stopped. Soon she could hear it digging through the snow outside. Finally, the wall of snow broke, and the wolf came tumbling down into her little cave. Though the hole it had made, she could see stars in the night sky. The wind had died away, and it had indeed stopped snowing.

She turned on her head torch. Another of Felix's gifts. It was no wolf, but a man. A stark naked man. A naked man in the woods, running from a wolf? It made no sense to Abbie. No sense at all.

"Greg?" she said without thinking. "Greg, is that you?"

It wasn't the real question on Abbie's mind. It was Bella's husband all right. She knew him well enough to be sure. The real question was why he was out in the snowy woods, in the dark, naked. Naked, yet not frozen to death.

"Yes," he replied. His voice was thick, and his words slurred.

"What are you doing here?" Abbie said. It was the best she could think of. Her mind was having trouble taking in the situation.

"I had to get away," he replied, teeth chattering. "From the cabin... the dark spirit approaches... soon the warlock will be reborn."

"Here," Abbie said and pulled free of the Järven. "Stop talking nonsense and come here. Quickly now, or you'll freeze to death."

He just nodded, took cold to protest. In no time at all, she had him wrapped inside the thermal bag and zipped up. Then she went through her pack, looking for clothes that might fit him. She was much smaller than him, of course, but some of her wools and socks were stretchy enough for him to wear. A knitted cap and a pair of gloves would also fit. Sort of.

She got some snow and put it on the burner to make a hot drink, then helped him get the wools on, trying not to see too much of his naked body.

The end result looked silly and uncomfortable, awkward was better than frozen to death.

"There," she said. "You'll live through the night."

"They will not. They will die," Greg said in a distant voice.

"Who?" Abbie said. He was clearly hypothermic and confused.

"All of them. The seven youths. The spirit will consume their souls."

Greg was clearly delirious from hypothermia. "What youths?" she replied. It was essential to keep Greg talking, keep him conscious.

"The seven youths at the cabin. Felix found them in the snow. Brought them with him. Bella was furious."