Hey, everyone! I am posting a new chapter but before that, I jus want to tell you that my gurl TheLadyMaeC has a new story and it's a sequel to her wonderful Eyes Bright, Uptight story and it's called Salvation In The Secular Age - so you better check it out. And if you haven't read Eyes Bright, Uptight then I don't know what are you waiting for - go read it! NOW!

And now to this chapter, it's a tense one and I didn't enjoy writing it but I had to.. plus, there is a small surprise at the end of the story ;)

**

Nellie pressed the button on the electric kettle and leaned on the kitchen counter, waiting for the water to boil. She held her phone in her hands, waiting for Maël to text her information she wanted to know. Maël was working in the Portland City Hall and he had a way to get the answers that Nellie craved for. The desire to get divorce from Clive was big from the day first but it just intensified after her night with George. Getting divorce from someone who refused to sign anything was hard but every system had its holes and even if that wasn't true, Nellie hoped.

She poured the boiling water over her tea, not moving her eyes from the screen as she stirred a spoon of honey in it. The winter was approaching and the weather was getting worse with each day. With a glance to the window, Nellie took a first sip of the tea, feeling the warmth spreading through her entire body – from head to her fuzzy sock clad feet.

Her phone buzzed next to her and she grabbed it quickly, opening Maël's text without hesitation.

'It is possible. I just talked with Albert but you need to be prepared for the long fight.'

Nellie sighed in frustration. This wasn't something she'd hoped for but she still didn't lose the hope in Maël. Quickly texting him a 'thankyou', Nellie placed her phone in her hoodie pocket and walked into living room, carrying her cup with her and looked at the clock. Clive would be home soon and she only hoped he had a good day. But by the way he was yelling at his co-worker this morning before he left for work, she didn't had a good feeling about it.

When Clive arrived home, she realised that everything she thought was true. His eyes were angry, his jaw clenched and his movements around the hallway as he undressed his coat were harsh and rough. Nellie got up the moment he walked inside the living room and nervously looked at him.

"B-b-bad day?" she breathed out, her voice getting lost somewhere in her throat.

Clive's eyes met hers and his look was so cold that it made her shiver. "Just shut up," he growled lowly, throwing his bag on the sofa and untying his blue tie. "Anything to eat?"

"Yes, shall I serve it?" Nellie asked, watching him nod once she almost ran to the kitchen and he followed her.

She had a weird feeling as she turned around and found Clive staring at her, his lips set in a thin line. He was eating as she sat opposite him, drinking her second cup of tea but not eating – her appetite was growing smaller with each year spent with Clive. She ate only when she really felt the need and she got used on seeing her bones sticking out in various places.

Feeling nauseous from his uncanny stare, she got up and placed her cup in the dishwasher and wiping the already clean counter, keeping herself busy. She moved the wooden tray with various seasonings to the left and then back to the right, her nerves working.

"Anelliese?" Clive called out silently, setting down his cutlery. Nellie didn't turn around when she silently responded but Clive anyway dismissed it. "Do you really think I am stupid?" Nellie's eyes widened and she turned around, slowly, trying to hide the nervousness that formed in the bottom of her stomach. Clive just stared at her and Nellie couldn't read his face but he scared her to death. "DO YOU THINK I AM STUPID, ANELLIESE?! " he screamed as he slammed his palms on the hardwood table, making the plate and cutlery to bounce slightly.