xix. monsters

Mitch Grassi

Knowing there was a new person under my roof scared me, but enticed me all the same. This new beating heart didn't dare leave his room for the first full week. Naomi was sweet enough to bring him food and check up on him daily, but he treated himself like he was a prisoner. And, I suppose I didn't help make his living arrangements welcoming. I didn't even introduce myself... not like I should, anyway. I'd probably scare him further into his room with one glance at my face. Hell, I scared myself every time I looked at my phone before turning on the screen. I got rid of every single mirror in the house, minus the one that was in Scott's room, and Naomi's. I did smash Avi's, though. He didn't really need it. I did clean up all of the glass, of course. I couldn't risk Naomi cutting herself when she cleaned around the house. I'd never forgive myself if she had to suffer because I was too scared to look at my face. But I still had to deal with it, looking at my phone every time it was locked and idle. No one ever messaged me anyway, so I never really needed it. It was like a security blanket. Maybe someday my mom would bother to call... that is, if she even knows my number.

Naomi would always ask me if I wanted to deliver Scott's food. She said it might start a conversation between us. Every time I tried to speak to Scott he would never open the door for me. He was angry with me for suggesting what I did, and I knew that full well. Either that or he was angry at me for not allowing his dad to stay. It was his dad's choice, too. With some discussion, he realized that he truly wouldn't be able to stay here. I did let him know that his dad was some place safe and just outside of New York. He was even trying to stop selling drugs and was requesting more hours at work. He was truly trying.

I wondered what it was like to have a father who actually tried to be a good influence for his son.

-.-.-.-.-

"Naomi, how do I get through to him?" I sighed, leaning my bare head on her shoulder. "I mean... what if... no." I shook my head and laughed. "Not possible."

"What? You can tell me, baby." I felt Naomi put a hand on the back of my head, gently massaging and then dropping down around my shoulders. I felt so warm and comfortable with her. My motherly figure.

"It's stupid." She simply shook her head and I sighed. Of course I'd have to tell her. "What if... what if he could be the one to break the spell?"

"Sweet Mitchell, you won't know until you talk to him. He's got a kind soul, but he's scared. You need to try to talk to him... not like a caretaker, but like a friend. Right now he views you as the enemy."

I laughed. "Well, of course he does. I look like I was created in hell. Of course I'm the enemy. I ran off the guy who was about to shoot him." I just reflected on what happened that night for the moment. I still don't know where I got the courage to even do that. It scared me, thinking I had the capacity for that. The strength to protect somebody. To protect myself in this scary world... something Mike would have never taught me, nor probably knows himself.

"Sweetheart, he wouldn't view you like that. I bet he's never even seen your beautiful face. He's scared of you because he's got a misconception. Show him who you truly are." She stood up and headed towards the kitchen, but not before wiggling her finger towards me. I followed and watched as she got dinner ready. Homemade chicken pot pies... my stomach growled loudly as I watched.

"You're supposed to say I have a beautiful face. You're like my mother. You're supposed to be nice."

"I know what I said, Mitch." She shrugged. "You should try to talk to him. Give him something to connect with. Let him borrow your favorite book, or listen to your favorite music. Give him something to have in common with you, so that way he might talk to you.".