xxvii. masterpiece

If you're smart and follow this story well, you'll realize the italicized bits are Scott's POV of the Scomiche interaction in chapter v. party girl.

Sorry this took forever. This chapter is seriously so important.

Scott Hoying

I could only wonder what was going on in the head of one "Julian," better known as Mitch Grassi. It explained a lot, actually. Believe it or not, I knew about his true identity much earlier on. I saw through his façade, and everything made more sense when I finally discovered who he was.

There was one day that he was working with Avi on some of his school work (for once.) I tended to get bored in the big house (and, well, still do,) not knowing what to do with my time. I decided to search for Wyatt and maybe see if he'd play with a little toy mouse that I found hidden under my bed. It took some searching but I finally found him sitting on Mitch's windowsill, looking outside. In a way, Wyatt truly resembled his owner. Both seemed like they wanted an escape. There were days where Mitch often stare at nothing, his face completely unreadable. And there were also days that Wyatt would do the same thing. The only difference was the windowsill. It's like he wanted more adventure. I didn't blame him one bit... I wanted adventure, too. I just felt too trapped within these walls. So, I gave the cat a bit of attention, throwing the mouse and watching him joyfully hop off of the windowsill and chase after the catnip filled plaything. It was the most amusing, and precious, sight I'd ever seen. He got too excited and ran into the desk, knocking a few things over, including a couple of CD's he had stacked next to his laptop. I didn't want him knowing I was in here for fear that maybe he was protective of his things. I'd gotten to know him a bit, but didn't know enough to understand his privacy situations. So, I tidied the CD's up, smiling at the different artists, including some I'd recognized that he had given me. Every few days he'd surprise me with a new CD, just like he did early on in our friendship. Nao. Pogo. MUNA. The boy had an amazing and interesting taste in music. And then I found it, and the memories came flooding back.

I felt out of place at this party. Honestly, I was only here because Tori invited me. She said I absolutely had to go. Unfortunately she kind of abandoned me to suck face with her boyfriend. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than thrilled for her. It just sucks to be alone. So, I meandered down to the basement where there were strobe lights illuminating from peoples phones. I had to laugh to myself because these phones wouldn't have battery by the end of the night, leaving them phone-less in an electronic world. I wasn't quite sure what was going on here. Awkward dancing. People grinding up on people they probably didn't know, but still enjoyed due to the alcohol in their systems. I felt very out of place here... so I started looking for a way out. Not a literal way out, considering I was Tori's ride. I was looking for something to keep myself occupied. I was the type of person at parties who would find the animals in the building and play with them. That's about as much social interaction as I'd want to get involved in. To my dismay, there were no animals... well, furry ones, that is.

I meandered aimlessly around the room, examining my whereabouts. This was clearly a room that that Mitch Grassi kid spent some time in. There was a computer desk, sans computer (don't blame him, I wouldn't trust anyone), and a chair. Next to the computer desk was another desk with what looked like some sort of soundboard or mixer. Maybe he enjoyed making music? I couldn't be too sure, considering I honestly knew nothing about him besides his roaring personality... but the one thing that did catch my eye was a CD tower. I was surprised to even see this, considering everything nowadays was all electronic. No one needed CDs anymore due to the Apple Store, or Spotify for that matter. Everything could be accessed for free somehow, yet he had so many CDs lined up, and all sorts of different ones, too. I gently drug my finger down all of the cases, looking at the different names. There were some very foreign artists that I'd never heard of before, nor probably would have since a few weren't even from this country. But that didn't mean I couldn't appreciate this music.