Luna Mornings

He awoke the next morning to the sense of being watched. Over his journeys he had acquired this sense on the multiple occasions he had been jumped in his sleep by monsters. Midna had called him paranoid, but she wasn't the one who had to worry about mortal danger, being able to dissolve herself into shadows at a whim. That had always annoyed him: her inability to put herself in another person's shoes. Sure she could be magnanimous and compassionate on occasion—even regal—but everyday empathy was beyond her. And being a man of simple tastes and simple lifestyle, understanding him had always been something she couldn't do. Not that he had an easy time understanding her, Twili, princess, and all.

Despite the urge to jump for his sword, he roused himself slowly. He was in the castle. Him acting that way would only prove Midna right about his paranoia. It was probably just Luna. On opening his eyes, however, he found her still curled into her feathery bundle, fast asleep. Blinking in the bright sunlight pouring from his window, he looked around, confused. He had been certain something had been watching him. The sun outside his window glared straight in, signifying mid-morning.

He leaned down to his feet to nudge Luna awake. Unable to find a shoulder, he had to press his hand into the feathers of her wings. The softness gave him pause. Without thinking he stroked the wing, awestruck once more. What was this creature?

She shifted a bit than began to give off soft, content purring. This startled him enough to shake her awake.

"Luna. Luna, I need to ask you something."

Ruffling her feathers ever so slightly, she pushed herself onto her knees, rubbing her eyes. She yawned widely, then blinked sleepily at him.

"Did anyone come in?"

She shrugged, then cocked her head to the side questioningly. He hesitated. The bright morning sun danced on the gloss of her white feathers. Her mane of hair, after a day of flying and a night of sleep, was a ratted mess. Within it all he was able to make out the small stone on her forehead, which at the moment looked like a pink sort of opal. The nightgown had drooped, if possible, even more and he blushed as he realized it now hung just enough to cover her breasts. A tiny shiver of heat ran up his spine.

"It's nothing. Can you pull up your sleeves?"

Again, she seemed befuddled by his questions, but she pulled the ratty gown over her shoulders nonetheless, unaware of her immodesty. The voice of the spirit echoed in his mind, reminding him of the girl's innocence. Why was she the way she was? Who was she?

"Luna..." then, changing his mind, he asked instead, "How did you sleep?"

She teetered her hand in front of her. So-so. The action made the nightgown slip back down her ivory shoulder. Wait, ivory? Had he really just thought that?

A knock came at the door.

"Uh—hold on!" he looked down at himself. For once he had slept nearly fully dressed. Grabbing his tunic, he slipped it over his head and opened the door partially. Outside, two guards waited for him.

"Sir Link."

"Yeah?"

"The Princess will see you now. She waits for you in the conference hall. When you are ready we are ordered to escort you there."

"Oh, uh, all right then. Let me just finished getting dressed and I'll be right there."

He quickly closed the door, hoping the guards hadn't gotten any view of what was inside and turned to Luna. Fluffy and white, she sat with her hands folded between her crossed legs and watched him with a smile. Something sparkled in her eyes. The other sleeve had already begun its trip down her shoulder. He tried not to focus too much on the curve of her collarbone or notice how slender and long her neck was. This was getting awkward.

"I'm going to go meet with the Princess. You mustn't open the door for anything, am I understood? Keep it locked at all times."

Her blue eyes rounded and she cocked her head. He was beginning to notice consistencies in her silent language. Slipping off his tunic so he could slip on his light mail (you could never be too careful), he elaborated for her.

"I know you look human, but no one here has wings. I don't know how they'll react to you quite yet and, frankly, I don't want you to get lost, especially since you're mute." He tightened the belt about his tunic and, just for good measure, snapped on one of his packs. Fingering his bed hair, he looked around for a comb. Best not to look like a complete slob before royalty. "Does my hair look all right?"

She eyed him, then snorted. His efforts to find a comb increased.

"Do you think I could just stuff it underneath my hat?"

She rolled her eyes and gestured him towards her. He hesitated. The girl obviously had a lack of knowledge in the personal space department, he had a right to be worried. How many times had she kissed him now? Though he knew by the words of the light spirit that she most likely meant nothing by it. She gestured more insistently and he gave in, approaching her cautiously.

"What are you—"

Her hands reached out and turned him sharply. He felt her fingers in his hair, combing them. It was surprisingly pleasant. When he turn she combed back his bangs, grabbed his hat from his hand, and placed it just right. Her smile had grown soft and content. Her fingers lingered just a second longer, but she soon pulled them back. He glanced around for his sword and wondered if he should take that too, then decided to leave it.

"Thanks a lot, Luna. Now stay. I'll be right back."

She nodded, still smiling and sleeves still slipping farther down her shoulders.

aHddOlV2