Misfortunes Hit The Squirrel

Squeak-squeak-trillllll-spit wasn't entirely sure how he had managed to get so far off course in looking for the stud his sister had sent him after. Wanting to be an unnaturally good brother, he had agreed to take the carefully shaped walnut heart to a male squirrel on the west side of the forest. The nutmeat in question he now had clutched tight against his chest and it took all his self-control to resist the intoxicating scent of it. If only he could find a nice she-squirrel to settle down with that smelt just like a walnut. Wouldn't that just be fine? Maybe this squirrel his sister was so fond of would have a sister.

But sitting at the edge of the forest, looking out at the great expanse of sand before him rather than a squirrel den, he knew a mate was going to be the least of his worries. He had already began to wonder if he was destined to be a normal, lousy squirrel brother no matter how hard he tried, for no squirrel could live in a place like the one he now stared at, no matter how studly. The way the sand went on as far as the eye could see was quite frightening to Squeak-squeak-trillllll-spit, and the only reason he hadn't turned away then and there to flee was because of his great depression at having found himself useless once more. Squeak'n-crack would be mad at him for weeks. She'd never forgive him.

Especially having found that he had eaten her beautiful, groomed walnut heart.

He stared down at it in his paws, feeling his stomach rumble most horribly. There was no way he'd be able to make it all the way back without eating something. And any normal squirrel would understand if they too had had to smell it all day long, oh so tempting and inviting.

With a heavy sigh, the squirrel brought the nut to his mouth. Already he could feel the saliva building. This would have to be the highlight of his day—even if it was contaminated by guilt.

A mass of black appeared in the night sky. Startled, he froze with his teeth hovering over the treat. Black specks fell down from the hole, filling in forms that he couldn't quite see. But amongst all the black he saw a figure of white he thought he recognized. Even as he watched the creatures shuffled across the desert, dragging the winged girl behind them. A few turned as one last grey form fell from the sky and materialized. From then on Squeak-squeak-trillllll-spit watch on in rapture as an intense, but brief battle ensued between what looked like a large wolf and the even larger black monster. The monster gave the wolf a good thwack to the head and it fell to the side, unmoving.

He twittered to himself. Now, what could be going on over there? Not that it was any of his business. He could at least refrain himself from being a bad brother in the regards of keeping his nose to himself.

Finally, he noticed the growing glow in the sky. Despite the late hour of the night, gold bled across the heavens and a strange sensation came over his body that caused the precious walnut heart to slip past his fingers by its oils and fall down to the darkening earth. His fur went on end. The tingling through his body was maddening. Fear washed over him, soon overcoming him till he saw nothing at all but the glowing gold and black flakes. The shadows were moving. The wolf was not. The stars were falling, one by one.

Fear, fear, fear...

He screeched, teeth bared, and then knew nothing.