Mortal Throat

Bleary as though he had just woken from a nap, he focused on it, trying to ignore the long leg moving up between his knees. He pulled away from her with a gasp.

"What's that sound?"

Midna pulled back and blinked, confused and annoyed. "Huh?"

But he listened harder. The noise was musical in nature and so mournful it was heartbreaking. In that short moment of simply hearing the sound, he felt his body begin to cool and his mind clear---and his chest fill with dismay. He recognized that voice.

Luna. Luna was singing.

And she was in pain. No. Agony.

Without thinking he shoved Midna away and scrambled off the bed.

"What's wrong?"

"Where is she, Midna, where is she!?"

"Wha..." then her eyes widened as she heard it too: the mournful singing, more beautiful than any sound on mortal earth. The pain of it screamed in his ears, spiking him with panic. He ran about the room, searching for the door, hands to his hair. All he could find was smooth, slate walls and the single window looking out on black and ocher twilight.

"Where is she? Din damn it, where is she?"

"Calm down, it's nothing—"

"Nothing?!" he reeled on her, the past few minutes forgotten. "What's going on? Tell me now, Midna! I know something is up and don't you dare come near until you answer me!" he said as she made to come towards him, arms outstretched. With Luna's song ringing in his ears, he didn't have the time to be brainwashed by her again. Even as he stood, heaving with panic and anger, her face changed. The elegance crumpled into a mask of rage unlike the Midna he knew. He felt his legs tremble.

"W-who are you?" he asked.

"I'm Midna, stupid, I'm not some imposter. What I should be asking is why you're all up and worried about her when you were with me a few minutes ago."

Inwardly, he groaned. He told himself he wouldn't get drawn into any woman sweepstakes. So much for his dream of simplicity in any possible relationship.

"This has nothing to do with that right now," he said, wishing dearly that he had his tunic, or at least a shirt. "She's in pain, I've got to help her. I came out here to save her."

"Save her?" Midna scowled, her expression growing darker and uglier. "How well do you know this girl you've named 'Luna'? Do you even know what you are saving?"

The singing had begun to wane. He looked about frantically.

"Whatever, now where's the door already? We can talk about this later! Please!"

The moment he said those words, he somehow knew they had been the wrong things to say. Her face turned absolutely livid. The very air of the room seemed to darken and he thought he could make out the faint outlines of shapes bouncing about her. Out of nowhere a black cloak appeared to re-adorn her tall form.

What he wouldn't give for a sword right now, though deep in his heart he knew he could never use it against her. It would just humor him.

Then, quite unexpectantly, the song of Luna died off and with it Midna's dark aura and expression. She appeared as normal as ever before him, as though he had not said anything offensive or obtuse.