Fag Classification

It was the end of the day and I started my way down the corridor. Several people were glaring at me, making snide remarks. I waved and smiled at a girl who called me a fag. She scoffed, walking faster, whispering feverishly to the girl walking beside her. I simply brushed it off, like sand on my hands, happy for my day to finally be over. I saw the classroom of hope practically shimmer in the afternoon sun coming in from the windows. I opened the door, surprised to see my teacher, walking out as I was walking in. We bumped into each other, me spilling my school stuff everywhere. He turned around, shushed the class, and said he'd be in momentarily.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. I'm just so rushed today for some reason. Here, let me help." He bent over, gathering the papers like I was.

A group of kids were passing by and one of them threw a paper at me. I stopped picking my stuff up for a second to open the crumpled paper and look what was written inside. Not to my surprise, it read FAG in bold letters. 

"What's that?" He asked, stopping to look at the paper in my hands.

He sighed, taking it from me, trading it for my things I had dropped. I thanked him and he helped me stand up. 

"I'm so sorry. I had the same problem when I was your age. Hell, I still do. Funny thing is, I don't even remember why I was rushing outside the room in the first place."

"Maybe you were supposed to help me." I offered.

"That must be it. Now," they guided me to the door, opening it for me, "to your seat, Mr. Iero."

"Yes, Mr. Way," I said, a hint of sarcasm bubbling up, playfully.

I could hear him chuckle. He strode to the front of the classroom, swaying back and forth gently until the class quieted down. Then he continued to explain the plans for today. He talked as he wrote the agenda on the board I cringed at the word 'partner'. No one in this class liked me. And we had an odd number, so I would surely be by myself. I could see all the commotion as people rushed to get their desirable partner. I even saw people who usually hate each other work as partners just to avoid being with me. Why? Last time I checked I didn't have a contagious disease...

I sighed, getting my stuff out of my bag to start brainstorming. I skimmed past a page that I didn't remember drawing on. It was a quick outline of... Mr. Way? What the hell? I couldn't even draw. And I know for a fact that I don't doodle. I looked around the room for a guilty face, and sure enough, I saw a group of red-faced, laughing peers, enjoying the fact that they even wrote fag under it.

Now they were just being rude.

"What a strange piece of artwork, Mr. Iero. Mind if I keep it?" He said loud enough for the kids to hear.

I ripped it out, giving it to him easily. He told me he wanted me to stay after class, not in an angry tone, but more of a sympathetic voice, full of concern. I nodded. He then asked me who had done this drawing with a very quiet voice. I nodded towards the kids who were laughing their asses off. He nodded, going to his desk and filling out detention slips. I smiled to myself, knowing that at least he cared that I was being bullied.

I started to brainstorm ideas now, focusing so hard, I didn't even realize that class had ended. It was only when the bell signaling the end of the day jerked me out of my daze. People were rushing around the room, hurrying to get out. I simply finished jotting down my last idea and put my things away. Mr. Way was humming slightly, cleaning off the board with some bleach scented cleaner.

I watched him almost dance as he did so. He started singing along to the song that was playing in the background. I almost didn't notice it because I was so used to something playing all the time. He twirled around and stared at me for a second, processing why I was there. Then it clicked in his head. He made an 'O' shape with his mouth and then put away the cleaner. He sighed, sitting down in a chair next to me, pulling it closer. He rested his hands on my desk, while mine were tucked safely in my lap.

"Iero," he started.

"Way," 

He smiled, "This 'fag' thing, how long has it been going on?"

My smile faded, "Since I moved here. I have no idea why, but everyone hates me."

"It's because you are different. From what I've gathered, you are very intelligent, humorous, and not to mention you have great music and style taste. I mean, you tweaked your uniform just enough to make it yours and not get in trouble for it. Same with your hair. You don't conform. Just like moi." He gestured to himself and I chuckled, "People like us are a minority in a place like this. They associate culture and appreciation for finer things with this vulgar word. Believe me, almost every day was just that word being used like it was-"

"-going out of style." I sighed.

"Exactly. I just wish I could help. I know what that did to me. Even still, just like that drawing, it's used on me."

"And I'm sorry on behalf of them," I said, looking at my hands.

"No need to be! It was their decision to pull that stunt. I, knowing you, do not draw or doodle, nor do you think of me that way. I'd at least hope so." He joked.

I smiled, looking up at him, "You're the only teacher who doesn't hate me. I look highly upon you."

"The only one!? Nonsense! Not even Miss Martinez?"

I shook my head.

"Damn," he covered his mouth, "I mean... ah, I meant it. Geez, Fra- Iero..."

"Frank," I said, folding my hands on the table like he was, "Frank is fine."

"Fine then, Frankie." He tested out the name, smiling, "Is there anything I can do?"

I shook my head, "The only thing that is kinda frustrating is that I never have a partner for anything. Like today for example."

"Well," he sat up straight, "I can't be your partner for every class, but I can be your partner for this project!"

"Really?" I said, my voice hinting at a hidden excitement.

Make an alliance...

Check.

"Yes! I'd love to. You have such a great writing style that I think would compliment mine. Who knows, maybe we'll get a book published?" His smile grew at the thought.

"But wouldn't it be biased on my grade? I mean, I am your favorite student and you are also writing."

"My favorite student, eh? Who told you that?"

"Calculated guess," I smirked.

"You truly are clever, Frank." They sighed, feigning irritation.

I laughed, "See you later, then?"

"Wait," he got up to his desk and grabbed a sticky note and pen. He wrote something down and then plastered it on my arm, "in case anything get's too serious and you have no one to talk to. Stay safe, 'kay?"

I read his number and under it said 'stay safe - GW', "Thanks... GW?"

"Gerard Way." He said with pride.

"Well, I best be on my way," I said, gathering my things and folding the sticky note into my pocket.

"Was that pun intended?" He asked.

"Oh, God... no, it wasn't." I laughed, "I'll see you tomorrow, Gerard."

He didn't correct me.

I smiled.