My New Date and Twisted Phone Calls

"Chandler, if I hear you talking again, I will throw this marker at you."

Mr. Way was writing the agenda on the board, back turned. I saw Chandler stop talking right away and look shamefully down at his desk. His friends snickered. Mr. Way turned his head slightly, lifting an eyebrow, obviously looking at me. He had sat me close to the front because, as he put it, he loved to see his favorite student up close. He was a strange man. I had been chuckling at his marker throwing threat and he had heard me.

"Do I have to remind you not to laugh at my threats, Mr. Iero?"

For some reason, my 'formal name' had become his pet name or name he used when he was teasing me. It was funny in a way. I stopped chuckling, hearing voices around me start to murmur. He had never really addressed me in class like that before, and that made all the kids turn their heads at the sound of him say my name. I could've sworn I heard a girl ask if we were having an affair...

"Well, Mr. Way," A hint of suggestiveness was in my voice as I said his name. I had no idea where all of this was coming from, "You never really act on them anymore, do you?"

I heard the same girl say that we probably were. I felt a strange feeling in my stomach but focused on the task at hand. Mr. Way turned around, hand on hip, scolding me with the marker. He rested his elbow on my desk, leaning in close, "Talking back, now are we? Stay after class, Mr. Iero."

I heard some kids behind me go 'ooooh' or say something like 'he's in for it now'. I simply smirked at him and whispered, "Gladly."

He stood up straight and glanced around at the class. He saw some girls chattering about the current situation and he glared at them, "Maribeth and Anna, shut it, will you?"

They stopped midsentence and nodded one of them uttered a small yes.

The agenda for the day was pretty simple, but not very exciting. We had to read an article that he was starting to pass out and then write what we thought would happen if the genders were reversed and such.

"Not really in the curriculum," he had said, "But the women's rights fair is in town this weekend and I'm just curious as to how you think this would be if the roles were reversed."

It was really simple and I had it done with more than enough time to spare. Everyone else was staring at their page blankly while I was reading a few of my older works and journal entries. I had progressed a lot with my writing skills, but if I were to rewrite these short stories, they would be very good. Then I came across a journal entry from 8th-grade.

10/29

It's hell. Everywhere I turn its 'fag' this and 'fag' that. A teacher even slipped up and called me Fag Iero instead of Frank Iero. It's gotten to a point where I'm almost tempted to come out to my parents because it's getting unbearable. But that would just make matters worse. I know it's bad to keep things bottled up inside you, but it's good for right now. I'll be able to tell them soon. I just hope that things will get better.

Signed,

Fag Iero

Bad news, kid. You don't tell them anything for about 5 years. I sighed, seeing people get up and leave the classroom. I looked at the clock on the wall, and sure enough, I was invested in my things so much that I had missed the bell. I heard a sad noise come from someone behind me. I turned around to see Mr. Way.

"I'm sorry, Frank." He gestured to the entry. I shrugged, saying that most of the issues with my parents had been solved and his face lit up, "Oh! That's good! Oh, and ,uh, sorry for what I did in class. Don't know what got ahold of me..."