A Little Paris, Women's Rights, Arcades, and 50s Horror Movies

We entered a very petite yet cute coffee shop. It was called Small Paris. I looked over at my date to see him smiling at me. I smiled back, watching him look away and guide me to the counter. I looked at the extensive menu and heard him ordering 'his usual with today's special'. I ordered some tea that was too hard to pronounce and had to have to point out, said to me correctly, and on which I repeated quite wrong. With the weird French tea, I had ordered a 'wild berry crepe'. We paid and sat down with a plastic number.

"What do you think?" I heard him ask.

"It's so cute. I'm guessing from how you said 'your usual' that you come here often?" I chuckled.

He giggled, "Yeah. It's my home away from home. I'm glad you like it."

We chatted for a little bit. I noticed how his body language was when we were chatting. He kept pushing his hair back, messing with his sleeves, crossing his legs, and looking down if I said something 'cute'. Our friendship had become so strange to me that I had forgotten he was my teacher. He didn't even seem like my teacher at this point. We had inside jokes, talked on the phone, and hung out a lot.

"I meant to say this when I first saw you, but you look really nice today. It was a surprise to see you in something so casual." I said, taking a sip of my unpronounceable tea.

"Really? I almost changed..." He looked away.

"No, no. You look great. I mean you generally always do. I couldn't pull off half of the things you wear," I paused, "...too complicated to take off..."

He was taking a drink of his coffee and choked, "Frank!"

I laughed, "I couldn't help it! I saw the chance and I took it!"

His face was bright red and that made me laugh even harder. Our food came and I was still laughing. He apologized on my behalf and the chick simply chuckled and said it was fine. When I had finally stopped, he looked like he was on the verge of slapping me. But when I made eye contact with him, his expression softened and he went to his food. I dug into mine and on the first bite, I was extremely pleased.

"Good?" He asked.

"Fucking amazing..." I sighed.

We ate and talked about this and that. At one point I had slipped up on my words and called him 'Gerald'. He thought it was the funniest thing in the world. Another awkward thing happened as well. I adjusted my legs and had grazed his leg with my foot. He stopped in his tracks and lifted a questioning eyebrow at me. He did it back, watching me turn pink in embarrassment.

The fair was really cool. I saw a lot of gay/lesbian couples and a few of them waved at us. We went to this one booth where we got a few pins and things. I got a pin that I thought was really funny. It wasn't really related to what their whole thing was about, but they explained that this was how her daughter made extra cash, so I took it, laughing. It was a yellow pin that said "encourage lesbianism".

 It was a yellow pin that said "encourage lesbianism"