a mistake.

You woke up early, the sun just barely peeking out through the clouds. You slowly climbed out of the hotel bed, stretching your arms above your head and yawning. You immediately grabbed your sweater and went out onto the balcony. You pulled your almost empty pack of cigarettes out of your pocket and lit one up.

You rubbed your eyes as you looked over the edge of the balcony. Cars drove by, and a few people walked around, but it was quiet. You liked the quiet. It gave you time to just be alone and not have to worry about anything.

As you smoked outside, you watched as Avi rolled over in the bed. He opened his eyes slowly, smiling once he saw you. You smiled back softly, throwing your cigarette butt over the balcony and going back inside. You pulled the sleeves of your sweater over your hands, shivering slightly.

"You need to quit." Avi said, his voice sounding deeper than normal.

"I know." you replied. "I will."

"You always say that."

"One day." you shrugged.

You grabbed a pack of gum out of your bag and popped a piece out, throwing it into your mouth and chewing. You'd been smoking for a while, but you couldn't stand how your mouth would taste after you finished a cigarette.

"Why are you up?" Avi asked.

"I don't know. I just woke up." you replied.

"Come back to bed."

"Why?"

"So I won't be lonely."

Sighing, you took your sweater off and went to the bed, laying next to Avi. You rested your head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around you. You knew he was going to fall asleep again. You draped one of your arms over his midsection, smiling softly to yourself.

Your relationship with Avi was strange. The two of you weren't officially together, as much as Avi acted like you were. He would hold your hand and kiss you in front of your friends, even though it made you a little uncomfortable. You were never really into the idea of a serious relationship with anyone, but you knew that was what he wanted.

There was no label on what the two of you had together. Avi constantly told you that he wanted you to be his girlfriend, but you weren't sure if you were ready to commit to him and only him. You were content with how things were.

"You coming out with us?" Mitch asked, leaning against the wall of the bus, staring at his phone.

"Where are you going?" Avi questioned, raising his eyebrows.

"Some club. I don't know." Mitch shrugged.

"I'll come. It's been a while since I went out dancing or anything." you smiled, getting up to go change out of your sweatpants and hoodie. "You coming, Avi?"

"No, I'm alright. I'm kinda tired." he replied.

"Suit yourself." Mitch said. "I'll wait for you outside."

You nodded, smiling as you skipped to the back of the bus. You went through your bags, looking for something to wear. After a few minutes of deliberation, you decided on a pair of tight-fitting dark blue jeans, a red tank top, and a black loose-fitting cardigan. You slipped a pair of heels on that you knew wouldn't hurt your feet too badly, then went back to the front of the bus. Avi was looking down at his phone.

"How do I look?" you asked.

"Hm?" he mumbled, looking up from his phone, his face dropping slightly once he saw you. "Oh...you look nice."