Chapter 3

Moi-Moi: ^.^ I always appreciate it when you guys take time out to write a comment or PM me. IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY.

It's time for the answer to the last Pokémon trivia. It was Drake's Dragonite! Yep. In the 112th episode of Pokémon, "Enter the Dragonite", Drake's Dragonite used nine different moves during its battle with Ash (in the original Japanese version). Ash still won though. In all, Dragonite has used ten different moves. Wish I had a Pokémon like that... For your next question,

What Pokémon type has the most notable Trainers that specialize in it? (Hint: it has seven Trainers.)

~:~

As the date of the Mauville Contest draws near, we find our heroes still in Fortree City. Under Winona's careful instruction, Alena has begun to show progress as a Trainer and battler.

"Absol, use Scratch!" Alena commanded her Pokémon at the top of the Fortree Gym.

Absol leapt through the air quickly, it's powerful legs catapulting it through the air in seconds. Glowing claws outstretched, Absol cried out, "Ab...sol!"

"Altaria, go up to dodge and use Dragon Breath!" Winona countered.

Altaria trilled an, "Altari-!" in a melodic voice while swooping upwards gracefully. Absol landed behind the Dragon type and quickly turned to face its opponent. Rearing its head back, Altaria charged up it attack. "-tariaaa!" Altaria cooed while firing its attack. Absol moved to dodge it, but her hind leg was still caught in the attack.

Alena frowned from her platform across the field. Absol was struggling to get on her feet while glaring harshly at Altaria. Her right, hind leg held a vicious bruise and could barely support her weight. "Winona, I want to stop!" Alena declared before quickly descending from her platform.

Winona's eyes widened in surprise before she nodded in acceptance. When Altaria and Winona approached Alena, she was holding her Pokémon to her delicately while inspecting Absol's leg. Anya was staring down at the leg with wide, fearful eyes before kneeling and slowly rubbing Absol's side tenderly. "Altaria, can you use Refresh on Absol?" Winona asked.

Altaria nodded before moving to embrace Absol with its wide wings. "Tari," Altaria cooed while waves of rejuvenating energy washed over Absol and Alena. Absol had been gritting her teeth against the pain in her leg, but slowly relaxed until she was perfectly at ease.

After several more seconds, Altaria pulled away with a happy smile. "Thank you, Altaria. That felt great," Alena smiled. Tentatively, Absol stood and applied slight pressure to her leg. There was a slight twinge in the appendage, but nothing she couldn't handle.

"I'm impressed with and proud of your progress, Alena. I could hardly tell that you're a rookie Trainer," Winona praised as Altaria rejoined her side.

"Thanks, Winona. It's all thanks to you. I wouldn't be so far ahead if it weren't for you," Alena smiled.

"Don't forget to give yourself some credit, too. I can only help you as much as you let me," Winona reminded. "Your Pokémon deserve the most of your thanks," Winona said while gesturing down to Absol. "They are your partners. You work together to achieve your goals. Since you're a Coordinator, you'll have to take extra care for your Pokémon. Don't forget that."

"I won't. I promise," Alena said and bowed lowly. She recalled Absol before leaving the Gym with Anya on her tail.

Winona watched them go with a small smile. She had had Trainers look up to her in admiration or to her for guidance before. But Alena was something special. The girl was quiet and a bit of a pushover- a soft soul. But when she battled, there was a totally different Alena on the field. It was as if an alter ego- a polar opposite to the Alena she had met- had come out to battle. This alter ego was decisive, strong, and determined while still being calm and gentile enough to know when to stop. The second Absol had gotten hurt, Alena's caring nature had resurged at once and called the match to a halt before rushing to her Pokémon's side. Winona smiled brightly. She had the utmost faith in Alena. If only the girl had more faith in herself...