Chapter Ten

I stared up at the building of the university, my school bag draped over my shoulder. Black had kept his word and let me go back to take my final exams, not to mention he left me alone. Freedom from his clutches finally helped clear my head, and the more I thought about it, the more I knew Ally's death wasn't an accident. I knew Black was behind it, and I wanted revenge for Ally's sake. However, the biggest obstacle standing between the justice Ally deserved was Black, and I knew he was a whole different species. Heaving a sigh, I walked towards the double doors, and slowly trudged over to my classroom for the first exam. I sat down at my desk, and I heard the whispers behind start up. Ever since my return, rumors spiraled out of control about a conspiracy that it was me who murdered Ally out of jealousy. The news got out about Ally's death, and I didn't have the strength to answer the millions of questions people threw at me. I didn't have an answer to give them. I wanted to scream at them, to tell them the truth, but even I knew better than to reveal what really happened at the Crimson Crow. Ally's parents tried to call me multiple times, but I ignored them and avoided the neighborhood. I didn't have the resolve to see them. I couldn't face them, because it was partially my fault Ally was dead. I should've put my foot down and refused to go when I had the chance. Then Ally would still be alive.

I looked over at the door as Professor Briggs came into the classroom and began handing out the exam. Even he looked at me suspiciously. I avoided his eyes, snatch the test from his hands, and began. I didn't even know what I had written down when I handed my test in. I headed towards the cafeteria and ordered my usual smoothie. I was beginning to get irritated with all the whispers, and as I turned around with smoothie in hand, I nearly ran straight into Dustin from Criminology. I mumbled an apology as I straightened my books back out, but Dustin gave me a hard expression.

"How are you, Jess?" I glowered at him, wondering what kind of question is that. Of course I wasn't doing well.

"Fine," I mumbled back, and began to walk away. Dustin grabbed my arm and I shot him a death glare. "Let go of me." I've had enough of men grabbing me to last me a life time.

"I know you're not fine," continued Dustin, ignoring my warning. "Jess, what happened with—"

"Just stop!" I said, raising my voice. I heard the cafeteria going silent, but I didn't care. I ripped my arm away from him. "Just stop talking about it! I have nothing to say to you, or anyone else! If you want to know, then do the fucking research yourself! I'm not going to talk about it!" I marched off, seething with anger. I was tired of people trying to figure out what happened, or having them jump to the conclusion that it was me who murdered Ally. I was tired of it; tired of it all. I stomped out the doors and felt the wind slap my face as I briskly walked down the sidewalk. I knew they were going to be talking, but I really didn't care. I walked to my apartment, ignoring the nagging in the back of my head that I still had another exam to take later in the day. I marched up the stairs, opened my door, and slammed the door behind me. I dropped my bags as I sank to the floor, and I covered my face with my hands as I felt my throat lock up and the tears slide down my cheeks. I couldn't answer them. I couldn't answer all the questions people were throwing at me. My body shook violently as I attempted to choke back my tears. I leaned my head back against the door, allowing the tears to slide down my face as I stared up at the ceiling.

"Something has to change," I whispered to myself. There was nothing I could do against Black. He seemed to have an entire network under his command, and going up against such an empire with just my word wasn't even worth attempting. I sat straight up as an idea came into my head. I couldn't do anything against Black publicly, but there was no way he could fight the law. I smiled to myself. I would be throwing my entire life away, but anything would be better than spending eternity in Black's clutches. I wiped away my tears and got to my feet. I grabbed my bag and ran out the door, heading back towards the university. I made it just in time to take my next exam, and I knew I did better on the exam all because my head was finally clear. I had a plan. I turned in my test and exited, waiting out in the hallway for a group of guys to walk by. Every guy knew Ally, so I knew even slipping something to them would prove beneficial for my plan. I watched as a group turned the corner, and I ducked my head and began walking towards them. I accidently bumped one and faked falling to the ground. One of the boys caught me by the arm and steadied me.