Chapter Twenty-Six

Even though Drake had agreed to take us out, I was disappointed he said fast food only. I didn't know if my plan would actually work, but I was determined to see what I could do with it. We went to Wendy's, and as we got out of the car, I scanned the parking lot and noticed a group of guys standing off to the side. They seemed to be in college and, judging by their appearance, seemed to be a bit on the snobby side. I peeked back over to see if Drake was paying attention to them. Fortunately for me, Drake seemed to be eager to head into the building as I tailed behind him. He acts like a child sometimes, I thought as I looked back at the group of boys. I wave at them and they looked at me for a moment as I entered the building. I followed behind Drake and placed my order. As Drake was getting his food and paying, I looked behind me to see one of the guys from the group had been curious enough to come into the building. I shot him a smile and he smiled back before I turned my back on him. Drake had turned around and I could see he was eyeing the boy behind me.

"Do you know him?" asked Drake in a whisper as he handed me my cup.

"No," I said innocently as I walked to the soda fountain. As I was getting ice, I looked over discreetly to see Drake glaring at the boy. The boy, however, didn't seem fazed and he walked back outside. I smiled to myself as I turned back around to fill my cup with lemonade. Drake joined me, mumbling under his breath as he filled his cup with Dr. Pepper. "Are we eating here?"

"Not anymore," said Drake irritably, and I had to force myself to hold my composure as I knew he was talking about that boy.

"Can I go wait out in the car then?" Drake looked at me for a moment, then gave him as he handed me his drink and the keys.

"Do not talk to anyone," he ordered and I narrowed my eyes.

"I'm not on house arrest anymore," I challenged and Drake was about to say something when the cashier called out to him. As he headed towards the counter, I made my way outside. I opened the car and set the drinks in the little cup holders. My plan didn't go as I had anticipated. I admit I was hoping to see Drake get mad if I somewhat flirted with other guys. But I had forgotten Drake had the eyes of a demon, so just one look would send anyone running. I wanted to see him mad to see if he was capable of the things Black was. It would certainly help me figure out some of the theories swirling around in my head. I grumbled under my breath as I stood up. I turned around and, to my surprise, saw three guys standing there. Except these weren't from the group of guys I had tried to flirt with earlier. I didn't see these guys walk up.

"Is that your boyfriend inside?" one of them asked and I rolled my eyes.

"No, he's not."

"So you're available?"

"Define available," I stated as I thought back to Black. According to him, I was his and his alone.

"I guess you're available for tonight then," one said, and the others snickered behind him. I narrowed my eyes. Something was off about these guys. Not only were they acting weird, but they had a weird stench coming off of them.

"I said to define it, not assume anything," I snapped, and the boys behind the main one laughed at my tone. I narrowed my eyes. The way they were so carefree...Drugs, I thought instantly as I studied their eyes. They were bloodshot red, and it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't feel a thing. I didn't know what they had taken, but whatever it was, it was enough not to make them have a care in the world. The boy in the middle put his arm around my shoulders, and brought me into him.

"You're really pretty," he slurred and I elbowed him in the ribs, hard enough for him to remove his arm.

"Oh, she's strong," another taunted as they laughed. The third boy grabbed my wrist, and pain shot through my arm as his fingers wrapped around the wounds that were still sore from my attempted suicide.