Chapter Thirty-One

The day of the trial arrived. News had gotten out the esteemed Mr. Black was being taken to court for the accounts of rape, sex trafficking, illegal business management, tax evasion, bribery, drug trafficking, fraud, forgery, kidnapping, stalking, voluntary manslaughter, first-degree murder, second-degree murder, money laundering, pyramid schemes, and white collar crime. Garrison had thrown everything out on the table, and the public was shocked due to the amount of accounts Black was being accused for. Many people protested, saying this trial is a revenge scheme Garrison concocted to get back at Black. Others were speechless, not knowing what to say or what to believe. The minority, who did believe these claims, were those who were either put away because of Black, or who had suddenly come forward to confess after they came into a large sum of money.

Garrison had kept me away from all of the reporters after the news leaked I was the main victim in all of Black's schemes. I was protected by the police, in case one of Black's employees received the order to abduct me again. I didn't mind the security; it helped me sleep better at night, if sleep ever came to me. With the knowledge Black was behind bars under 24/7 security helped relieve me of the stress piling up over the last few weeks. I sat in a police car as we drove to the courthouse. I had a meeting with Garrison before the trial started to review some of the facts. I had to admit I was nervous. Nightmares had haunted me ever since Black was taken into custody, and I knew sharing a room with Black would only enhance my fears. We wouldn't be on the same side this time, and I knew his piercing eyes wouldn't leave me when I walked into the room. I was hoping Garrison would help ease my worries. The car parked in front of the courthouse, and I was quickly escorted by the officers waiting into the back rooms. I walked in to find Garrison already there.

"Are those all the papers I had stowed away?" Garrison looked up as I took a seat across from him.

"It was clever of you to do this," said Garrison with a weary smile. "We went back to Black's house to scrounge up any more evidence, and his entire hard drive was wiped clean."

"I expected as much," I replied softly. Garrison studied my face for a moment.

"I know you're scared," he said in a hushed manner. "But Black cannot touch you in there. All you need to do is say your piece with confidence and let me do the rest."

"You have other people who will talk?"

"I'm...waiting. I have two who will speak on your behalf right now. I know Black has four who will speak on his behalf."

"The other two won't show up?" I asked, feeling my hope start to swirl down the drain.

"I haven't made contact yet," said Garrison as he clasped his hands in front of him. "But I hope they make an appearance."

"They're scared," I said as I leaned back in the chair and crossed my arms. "And I don't blame them. No one knows what kind of empire we are going up against."

"I have those documents, thanks to you," assured Garrison as he tapped his briefcase. "Also, to make it easier on you, you won't have to be in the courtroom the entire time of the trial." I glimpsed over at Garrison to see him smiling.

"I...won't have to be present?"

"I have explained to the judge and the jury at the pre-meeting about your traumatized experience. I have made it clear that being in the same room with the man who has caused you so much emotional, physical, and mental pain would not be in good taste. Hence, you will only have to be present during certain times of the trial." I could've hugged him. I had never heard such reassuring words my entire life.

"Thank you," I whispered and Garrison reached over to pat my hand.

"We are in this together." As I stared into Garrison's eyes, a thought occurred to me.