Chapter Sixteen

I closed my notebook, and with a faint smile on my face, gathered my belongings and rushed to the front of the class where Professor Peterson stood. Professor Peterson was by far my favorite professor at Auckland University. He took pride in what he taught, but he also took pride in his students. As for me, he was one I could talk to. I felt comfortable talking to him about anything. He was the only one who had an idea as to why I transferred to New Zealand in the first place. He was the Dean of the Criminal Justice Department, so when I showed an interest, he automatically guessed there was something I wanted to change in America. I hated how right he was at first, but then I found it was to my advantage he had taken a liking to me. He had no idea what I had been through, but he had offered help in areas that made my life a bit easier. I walked up to him as the rest of the class filtered out, and he glanced up at me through his spectacles and gave me a firm smile.

"How was today's lecture?"

"Interesting to say the least," I said with a reassuring smile. "I was wondering if I could get you to look over my thesis?"

"Thesis?" he asked as he raised an eyebrow. Then he broke into a smile. "I am guessing it is your thesis to get into the master's program, is it not?"

"Yes sir," I confirmed as I adjusted my bag. "I've already discussed it with my advisor from America. She agrees, and wishes me luck."

"Then I would be delighted to look at it," answered Professor Peterson. "If you wish, you can join my master students and I at the bar, around 7 o'clock. We do our discussing in a stress free environment."

"I can't say no to that," I admitted with a laugh. "I will see you then." After shaking his hand, I backed out of the classroom and went on my way. It has been four weeks since I left America to find safety in New Zealand, and the comforts of this new country were beyond my expectations. I had not heard anything, and I was finally regaining my own composure back. I had made acquaintances, which made life a little easier. I had even thought about returning to therapy for my anger issues, even though it wasn't near as bad as it used to be. My only regret was leaving my grandfather behind, but even he couldn't remember me. I was always someone else to him. I smiled to myself as I walked out the doors, feeling the nice cool breeze ripple through my clothes.

"Jessica!" I turned around to see Sasha and Denise, girls from my study group, come walking up to me. Both of them were tall and average sized girls with light tans from the sun, but only Denise had dark black hair with deep brown eyes. Sasha, on the other hand, was red-haired and green-eyed. "Where you talking with Professor Peterson? We couldn't find you earlier."

"I was. I wanted him to look over my thesis."

"Your ambition to get into the master's program here is phenomenal," scoffed Denise as she gave me a wry smile. "I thought America was amazing."

"When you grow up in America, you get the urge to get out and see new things," I replied as I smirked back. "Besides, I love it here."

"Please! We all know you want to stay for the sports," Sasha winked, and I couldn't help but to smile. "I didn't think you'd pick up on surfing that fast."

"I like to be active," I stated as I shrugged my shoulders. "Takes things off my mind, ya know?"

"We all know," Denise laughed as she waved it off. "So, are you going to come study with us tonight? We have that huge exam in Anatomy tomorrow."

"I'm meeting with Professor Peterson tonight to discuss my thesis," I said apologetically. "If we get done early I can meet up with you."

"I had a feeling you would be," stated Sasha as she crossed her arms. "It's not like you have to study either."