Chapter Twenty-Three

I quietly gathered my shoes and tip-toed back up the stairs. I wanted to know how Black knew my Grandpa was dead, so I had pretended to go up the stairs. At the top, I took off my shoes and quickly descended back down, careful to make sure my steps weren't heard. I paused on the third step from the bottom when I heard Black's phone go off, and I eavesdropped on his conversation. So Black was looking for people. Why would Black need certain people to be found? What clock was he racing against? But what troubled me most was the person he said he was talking too. Who was Drake? The name seemed oddly familiar, but I couldn't picture a face to go with it. I silently closed my bedroom door behind me. I gently laid my shoes in the closet and sat on my bed, my mind reeling. I already have, and now she's with me. So, it can't be too hard. I knew he was talking about me. How desperately I wanted to know what the man on the other side had said. I fell back on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I was still thinking about Ally's words I had remembered at her grave. My eyes widened. What would Black do if he knew I went to the cemetery before coming back here? I knew he was looking at me funny when I came in, like he was trying to read my face. He's worried, I thought to myself. He's worried I'll figure out what Ally knew. Or something worse. I closed my eyes as I tried to remember something I didn't know I had forgotten.

There was still my plan to get back at him, but I needed assistance to do so. Since I didn't have my phone, I would have to catch someone's attention the hard way. Where could I accidentally run into him? Then it occurred to me. I didn't have to accidentally run into him. I just needed a phone. I smiled wickedly as I opened my eyes. I had an idea. It wasn't the safest idea, but it would help me in the long run. There would be two stages, each with my life on the line. Black believed I was depressed out of my mind right now, as he gave me time to mourn. I got up and walked into the bathroom, yanked the cabinet open, and pulled out one of my razors. I ran my finger over the sharp blades. I left the door slightly open with the light on. I took a deep breath, as I knew what I had to do.

*****

Black was working on a business documents for one of his underground deals when he heard something crash upstairs. Black tilted his head as he stared at the ceiling. What was Jessica doing up there? He stared at the ceiling for a bit longer before lowering his eyes back to his papers. Then he heard Jessica scream. In an instant, Black was on his feet, running up the stairs. He noticed the bathroom light was on, with the door cracked. He didn't bother knocking; he pushed open the door as he strutted in.

"Jessica, what are you—" Black stopped mid-sentence as his eyes widened in terror. Jessica was crying as she held a razor in her hand, blood seeping from her wrists. Blood was smudged all over the floor and there was skin poking out of the razor. He lunged, grabbed the razor from Jessica's hand, and threw it off to the side. He observed her wrists as she tried to pull away from him.

"Leave me alone!" she screamed as the tears continued to pour down her face. Black ignored her cries. She cut herself deep. Black ripped off a piece of his shirt and wrapped Jessica's wrists. Tearing off another piece, he tied it tightly around her upper arms, hoping to cut off her circulation. The nerve of this girl! Black thought irritably as he pulled out his phone. Jessica was starting to turn pale. Black caressed her face, leaved light blood stains on her cheeks as someone on the other end finally picked up.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"I have an attempted suicide. I need an ambulance now."

*****

I don't remember losing consciousness, but I opened my eyes to find myself in the hospital. My head felt light, and I blinked several times before my eyes adjusted to the light. What had happened? Then I remembered. I had broken the vase in the bathroom, and then proceeded to slash my wrists with the razor. I remember Black barging in, but after that it was hazy. I inhaled a deep breath. It wasn't the smartest plan, I will admit. But perhaps with this, I will be able to persuade Black a bit more easily for stage two of my plan. I turned my head to the side when I heard voices outside my room.