True Romance

January is that time of year when most of us feel a little flat after the Christmas holidays and the bringing in of a new year

January is that time of year when most of us feel a little flat after the Christmas holidays and the bringing in of a new year. So to hear some lovely stories of romance, friendship and co-incidences just reinstate that there is love, warmth, and friendship around us.

I suppose I started off thinking of writing about the romance stories in November as I had fallen into the routine late on a Thursday night of watching First Dates on Channel 4. We all like the feel good factor and the hope that there is someone out there for us, and that no matter what age you are, you can always fall in love. I am a bit of a softie underneath it all and I love hearing a romantic story.......

A lovely American artist arrived at Parklands from New York in the late Spring of 2001. He had emailed me explaining that he was going to propose to his girlfriend whilst they were in London. He had dreamed from a young age, that when he met the woman he loved he would bring her to London and propose on Tower Bridge (if only all young men had such romantic dreams at a young age!).

The girlfriend knew nothing of his plans and during a quiet moment the day after they arrived he showed me the beautiful sapphire and diamond ring he had bought with him. I got completely caught up in the moment and was both excited and nervous for him.

The day after they arrived they had a full day of sightseeing planned – first Westminster, then Big Ben and finally Buckingham Palace. As the day was picture perfect he persuaded his girlfriend to do one last thing before they headed back to the B&B....Tower Bridge!

That night his girlfriend returned walking on air – her lovely partner had proposed to her and she had accepted! The ring fitted perfectly and she absolutely loved his choice. Later that evening we shared a bottle of champagne to celebrate the engagement. They were a lovely couple and before they left to travel back home and tell their families, they gave me a painting to say, thank you, I still have it hanging in my bedroom. Each time I look at it, it reminds me of how wonderful love can be and makes me smile inside.