Kinky Boots

Guests don't have to stay long to make a lasting impression

Guests don't have to stay long to make a lasting impression. This story concerns a gentleman who booked himself in for two nights, in Spring time...

I received a call, a businessman wanting a room for two nights. A few hours later a very smart and tall gentleman arrived about 4pm, apologising for coming earlier than planned.

It wasn't a problem because either Pat, my adorable handyman or myself were usually around most days of the week with the exception of going to pick up my two boys from school.

We offered him a refreshment, which he politely accepted. He was dressed in an immaculate pinstripe suit with a dazzling white shirt and snazzy tie to bring the entire ensemble together. He reminded me of an IBM executive from the 1970s who were renowned as some of the smartest dressers in the City when I worked as a secretary in a Merchant Bank many moons ago.

He told us that he was going out and would be back around midnight. In those days I suffered from insomnia and only slept a few hours each night – around four or five – which is hardly enough being a full-time mother and running a B&B and everything else in between.

I had got into the bad habit of watching SKY TV and any old B movie that was on, before going to bed (I am glad to say that those days are now very much in the past).

It was around 1am and I heard a click of the front door, as is my custom I popped my head out to wish the gentleman good night and I was stopped in my tracks, there standing in front of me was a tall willowy stunning female.

I said in a calm tone, "I am sorry I haven't met you", many thoughts were rushing through my head at the time, had he given his keys to a lady he had not mentioned. I was confused as much as curious, as the gentleman didn't seem like the kind of person to act out of line.

Then I recognised the smile and the familiarity in the voice as the lady responded: "by day I dress as a man and at night as a woman."

"Oh OK, Good Night", I went back to my TV room and he went off to bed. This was the first and the only cross-dresser in 23 years.

When you are hosting in your home, these sorts of surprises can be part and parcel of the experience every now and then. I think it's all part of what makes hosting so interesting. One thing is for sure, there's never a dull moment.

Has anyone else got a story like this to tell?