Healthy Appetites

Having served breakfast to all nationalities, shapes, and sizes over the years the memories that stand out are the guests with huge appetites or when something amusing happens

On this particular occasion, it was early on in my B&B career. A German couple who were both doctors had come to stay for five nights. They were a very quiet and gentle pair who were extremely light on their feet for their size. They had requested a double duvet each at the time of booking and now I understood why.

The husband was a rather flamboyant dresser and would wear an array of brightly coloured trousers, with a striped shirt and huge red braces, that I have never seen the like of since. The wife wore florals and lots of shades of blue.

The first morning they sat at the table for breakfast and I had laid everything out as per normal. I was silently thankful I had invested in Italian steel chairs, replacing the directors chairs of wood and canvas that I used to have.

Within minutes of sitting down they asked if they could have larger cereal bowls. I started to open my cupboards, looking for suitable alternatives, before I had got very far they swooped on my mixing bowls requesting one each. They then told me not to bother with a milk jug, but instead to leave out the 4-pint container of milk and the 1K box of cereal.

I stared slightly opened mouthed as they emptied the box and container into the two bowls. I couldn't help it, I continued to potter around the kitchen looking for things to do, chancing looks as the milk line descended further and further with each spoon-full.

Before the sound of spoon on glass had stopped ringing they requested bacon and scrambled eggs. I normally do a 2 egg per person serving but they asked me if they could have a 12 egg portion – I had to do a double take, just to make sure they were serious. And they were!

It was quite a feat and one that they managed every morning over the course of the five days they stayed. In all my years running a B&B, never have I seen guests eat so much and walk away from the table.