Chapter One

Hey everyone this is a new idea i got a while ago!:) i hope you like it!:) please comment! i would LOVE any feedback, even if you hate it! (i hope you dont...) anyways, enjoy!:) I love you all!:)

-Liz

Chapter One- Tristan Kane

I was pacing around my apartment constantly. I couldn’t stop. I was pretty sure I had made marks in my carpet. How on earth was I suppose to do this? Hmm? How was I suppose to care for a toddler? I couldn’t! plain and simple. There was no way that I could care for a little one. I didn’t even know what to do! How many times was  I suppose to feed a kid? What did I feed it? Did it take naps? at what age do I enroll a kid in school? I couldn’t do this. Plain and simple I just could not care for a toddler. 

Why on earth would Abigail name me to be the legal guardian of her child? Why? Why did I even sign the papers saying I would? Abigail had always been the one with the tender heart. Always the one to care for me when I was little. She babysat all the neighbors children when she was growing up. She was even a nanny to some! I had barely even held a child in my whole twenty-three years of living! I mean, of course I held Abigail’s daughter when she was born, but that was it! How was I suppose to care for a child?

As I kept pacing in my living room, my Newfoundland dog, Scout, watched with curious eyes. Scout was the only thing that I had ever in my whole life had to care for. And dogs were easy! Maybe there would be like a “Children for Dummies” book at the bookstore. Aha! That’s it! I’ll get a book! As much as I hate reading I think this may be necessary.

I went to my room, grabbed my clothes and went to the bathroom to shower and get ready for my outing to the bookstore. After I was showered, dressed, had my teeth brushed, and I was clean shaven I went to find Scout and her leash. After Scout was put onto her leash her and I began our exciting walk to the bookstore. 

Once inside the bookstore I was at a complete loss. I’ve never been to a bookstore before. I never read books. This is going to be a disaster. 

“Excuse me sir, can I help you?” I turned around to face the employee. 

“Uh, yeah, where would I find the baby books?” I asked nervously. The lady looked at me for a second before smiling hesitantly and leading me to the back of the store.

“What type of baby book are you looking for exactly?” she asked. She was a small boned girl, looked to be about my age, maybe a year younger. She had a dirty blonde hair. Her eyes were a forest green, her skin was clear and looked to be as soft as silk. Least to say she was beautiful, and I was mesmerized. 

“Sir?” she asked drawing me from my daydream. 

“Yeah, okay, well, here’s the thing…” and so I explained it to her. I explained that I was becoming a guardian and I had no idea what to do. Not even the slightest clue. 

“So do you have like a “Babies for dummies” sort of book?” I asked. The girl, who I learned her name was Rachel, laughed. And let me say, Rachel has a beautiful laugh. 

“um, no I don’t think there is a “Babies for dummies”, but I am sure we can find you something.” I nodded my head before turning to the bookshelves. Rachel sorted thumbed through the books occasionally pulling one out and putting it in my hands. By the time she was done there was a total of about six or seven books in my hands. I followed her to the counter where she rang the books up and I paid with my card. 

“Good luck with the baby.” Rachel said with a smile. I nodded my head thanking her before tugging on Scout’s leash and beginning our walk home.

At home I fed Scout and then went and plopped onto the couch and began reading. I also grabbed a notebook and pen to take notes. Halfway through the first book I realized I didn’t even know my niece’s name. what kind of uncle didn’t know his own niece’s name? I sighed, this is going to be so much more difficult than I had originally thought. I glance over at my notebook wondering what notes I had taken. My notebook was blank.