Chapter Two

Chapter two!!! please COMMENT:) thanks!

-Liz

Chapter Two- Rachel Paige

After I gave my number to Tristan, he left saying he had a room to paint. I smiled than climbed into my old beat down truck and started driving off to my apartment. After a short fifteen minute drive I pulled out my plastic bags and started trekking up the stairs to my apartment. As I was digging around in my oversized purse looking for my key the she-devil appeared. 

“I need your rent.” She stated in a very matter-of-fact voice. I groaned internally. 

“I’ll have it to you by the end of the week.” I mumbled knowing she wouldn’t buy it. 

“No can do. You said that last week and I still have yet to receive my money.” Mrs. Coppell stated in the same voice. I groaned internally again, well at least I thought it was internally.

“Don’t you give me that! I have been very generous.” I nodded my head knowing what she said was true. By this time I had found my key and stuck it in the lock turning it and walking in to my amazingly small apartment. Mrs. Coppell followed me into my apartment crossing her arms. I searched through the cupboards searching for my coffee tin. After I found it I pulled out the amount of cash I owed and grudgingly handed it over to the she-devil. 

“Thank you.” She said haughtily. I sighed before putting the tin back. There goes more of my savings for college. 

“You have your money now shoo.” Mrs. Coppell obliged. I slumped down into my broken kitchen chair and dropped my bags on the ground. How was I going to make it? I worked three jobs as it was and I could barely survive. I worked at the bookstore from three to nine on weekdays, I had a paper route in the morning, and I even painted whenever I could. The only time I had off was Sunday mornings and that was set aside for church. My life really sucked. my growling stomach interrupted my complaining. I sighed getting up from the chair, the chair wobbling because three of its legs were longer than the other. I found the stupid thing at the dump. 

When I opened the fridge my worst fear became true. It was empty. I sighed slamming the door shut causing it to come off the hinge. Great another thing to fix! I rummaged around under the sink looking for a pair of pliers hoping to be able to fix the fridge. After about an hour of wrestling with the hinge I finally got the door to be semi usable. I was still hungry but there was nothing I could do about that. I had already spent my money paying rent and buying the paint for the new job I got. Once I painted the house I would get paid. I sighed before cleaning up the tool kit on the floor, putting it away and going to hop in the shower. 

After showering and getting dressed into my pajamas I went and flopped down onto my bed. Tired and worn out I didn’t want to move a muscle, but a loud ding interrupted me. I groaned before flipping over and grabbing my phone. 

‘Hey Just wanted to say thanks for today and all your help!:)’ the message read. I glanced at the number realizing it was Tristan. 

‘Your welcome. Glad I could help.’ I sent back. Before he could reply I quickly said I was going to bed. I put my phone on the charger and quickly got under my blankets trying to get warm. I couldn’t afford the heat bill and it was the middle of winter. I said my prayers before drifting off into a deep sleep.  

The next morning I woke up to the very high pitched annoying beeping of my alarm. I groaned before bracing myself for the cold. I quickly threw off the covers, bombarded with the cold air I sprinted to the bathroom turning on the shower. After turning on the shower I ran back to my loving bed an jumped under the covers soaking in the heat while I waited for my shower to heat up. After a couple minutes I jumped out of bed again, grabbing some old jeans that barely fit, a baggy sweater, and some undergarments and a towel. I ran into the bathroom quickly stripping and jumping into the hot shower. 

Begrudgingly, I climbed out of the shower and let the cold air swarm around me. I quickly dressed, brushed my teeth and pulled my dishwater blonde hair into a messy bun on the top of my head. I quickly grabbed my phone off the charger and pulled on my very worn out new balance shoes and going into the kitchen. Once I got into the kitchen I remembered I had no food. Great. I tried to tell myself I wasn’t hungry, as I laced up my shoes and grabbed my messenger bag, getting ready for my paper route at four in the morning. 

I was just finishing up my paper route when I got to the last house. George’s house. George was a very old man who lived in the nice two story Victorian styled home at the end of my route. George and I had become great friends over the years. After I delivered all the papers George would invite me in to have coffee before I left to go to work at the bookstore. George and I would have coffee and a biscuit together while he told me stories about his days in WWII. He told me stories about the war, his deceased wife Betty, and about his deceased children. His children all passed away in their childhood. George was a very lonely man, but a kind one. He invited me over every Sunday and we watched football and ate lunch together before I headed off to work again. George knew about my financial situation and helped whenever he could.

I knocked on the wooden door that belonged to the Victorian house. I pulled my hand back rubbing my hands together and blowing on them trying to create some warmth, hoping to be able to feel my fingers. I heard a soft pitter patter of slippers before George opened the door. 

“Come on in Rachel! We don’t want you to freeze to death out there!” George said pulling me in and giving me a hug before pulling me into the kitchen.

“Hey there George.” I said with a soft smile. George and I talked about football while he prepared my coffee and a biscuit. My stomach growled at the thought of food. I hadn’t eaten in the day before yesterday. George gave me a stern look when he heard my stomach. 

“Have you been eating lately?” he asked sternly. I nodded my head hesitantly hoping George wouldn’t pick up on my hesitation. 

“Are you lying to me?” I nodded my head hesitantly again.

“When was the last time you ate?” George asked in a very stern voice. I did a nervous giggle.

“Oh you know…” I trailed off George shook his head muttering something about me being skin and bones if that. George started rummaging around in the fridge before pulling out some bacon and eggs, cheese and onions. 

“Ah, George you don’t have to make me an egg sandwich. You know I don’t have time to eat it.” I said my stomach protesting with me practically begging me to take the food. 

“I’m wrapping it in foil and you can eat it on your way to the bookstore. Either way your eating it even if I have to shove it down your throat. Got it?” I nodded my head. George looked at me before shaking his head and saying good. After I had finished my warm coffee and had been given a egg sandwich wrapped in foil I was heading out the door. 

“Thanks George. You’re the best.” I said meaning every word of it. George nodded giving me a sad smile. 

“if you need anything you let me know alright?” George said tearing up. 

“Of course. And I’m coming over tonight to cook you some dinner. Understand?” I said in a fake stern voice. George nodded and muttered something about stubborn woman. I laughed before giving him a hug and heading out.