Chapter Three

here's chapter three!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Liz (Dani that means you!!!)

Chapter Three- Rachel Paige

I swear worked dragged on longer than usual. And let me tell you it was busy. I think today was the busiest I had ever seen it. Everyone rushing in trying to get the new books for Christmas presents. Crying kids in their mothers arms. Toddlers running amuck. One even knocked over a book display and guess who got to clean that up, me. The kid started crying because he felt so bad, I said it was okay and gave him a lollipop trying to cheer him up, it did. The kid skipped happily over to his mom saying ‘That nice lady gave me a lolli! She was really nice even though I made a mess.” The lady gave me a tired and grateful smile which I returned. 

After cleaning that up someone ignored the sign in the window that read no food or drink and spilled their soda all over. Thankfully none of the books got ruined but I still graced with a rag and the privilege to be able to clean up the spilled soft drink. 

It was near closing time and the store at calmed down a considerable amount. I was standing behind the counter reorganizing the magazines when I heard the bell chime. I glanced over my shoulder to welcome the new shopper when I realized who it was. 

“Oh, hey there Tristan.” I said. My vice sounded tired and weary even to my own ears. Tristan smiled and readjusted the toddler on his hip that I hadn’t noticed until now. 

“Hey there Rachel. Long day?” I groaned and smacked my head on the counter, not on purpose.

“Ow,” I muttered. “You have no idea how long.” Tristan laughed. The toddler started talking baby talk. I take it the kid couldn’t talk yet but was beginning to learn. 

“Oh I think I have a slight idea. Considering the spilled soda? Soda is it? On your shirt. Your hair is a mess and those bags beneath your eyes.” Tristan said laughing. Well there goes my self esteem. I nodded knowing what he said was true, even though it still hurt. I knew I wasn’t pretty like other girls but having him voice it made it worse. George always tried to tell me I was just as beautiful but I knew it wasn’t true. My eyes started to water without my permission as I turned back to my task of organizing the magazines. Tristan muttered something that sounded something like ‘oh crap’ but I wasn’t sure. 

Tristan tried coming behind the counter but than I informed him only employees could come. 

“Will you at least come over here than?” he asked.

“Why.” I stated. Tristan sighed. 

“I’m sorry Rachel. I didn’t mean it like that. I was just trying to say I understood that you had a bad day. I didn’t mean it like that.” I shrugged my shoulders and said it was okay. Once I was done organizing the magazines I started heading to the back of the store to organize the calendars when a small hand reached out and grabbed my hand. I looked to the toddler in Tristan’s arms. She reached out with both hands. I gently took her from his arms and held her tight against my chest while she giggled and talked in her baby language. I laughed and bounced her on the side of my hip.

“This is Claire.” Tristan stated. 

“Hi Claire.” I said to her. Claire started giggling and jumping up and down in my arms. I laughed before tickling her pudgy tummy sending her into another round of giggling. When she was done laughing she looked up at me and wrapped her arms around my neck and planted a sloppy wet kiss on my cheek.  I laughed before handing her back to Tristan with a sigh. I glanced up at the clock realizing it was closing time. I headed back to the register and started taking money out knowing I would have to take it to the bank.