Chapter III: To Fight the Monsters

Richard stepped out of his black Chrysler & looked up at the Star City City Hall. He adjusted the collar of his fitted blazer & wiped his shoulder with his right hand. He glanced down at his briefcase in his left hand & gripped it tight. He felt more than prepared to sway Star City in his favor.

Richard walked up the stairs leading to the front doors & entered the building. He made his way through the front lobby, approaching the receptionist's desk. He smiled as the receptionist looked up at Richard. She was an older lady, possibly mid-thirties, with long brown hair flowing over her shoulders & thin framed glasses. She was rather pretty.

Richard cleared his throat. "Hi, my name is Richard Grayson. I represent Wayne Enterprises in Gotham City."

The receptionist smiled at Richard, then glanced down on a legal pad on her desk. "Ah, yes, Mr. Grayson. Your clients are already waiting for you inside of the office. I'll go ahead & escort you."

"Thank you," Richard said as the receptionist stood up from her seat & began to lead him away from the lobby, down into a long wide open hallway. The hall was sleek & modern, along with the rest of City Hall. It seemed newer than what Richard imagined it would have looked like. Richard also considered the amount of attacks in the city, & suddenly the possibility of a redesign of City Hall didn't seem so far fetched.

The receptionist led Richard to two large doors. "You may step in, if you like."

Richard nodded & reached for the door handle. He pulled on it, letting it open slowly. He walked inside of the conference room, where two men were standing. One was a police officer & one was a suit, both conversing casually. Over to the side, where the conference table was, a young woman sat. She had short brown hair & was pale. She had bright green eyes that were heavily focused on some documents that she was already reading. She wore a pencil skirt & a loose white button up. She looked as old as Richard, which put him to ease. Richard didn't catch sight of the Mayor.

The woman looked up at Richard & smiled as he shut the door behind himself. "Mr. Grayson," she said. The woman stood up & walked around the table, passing the two men, & approached Richard. She held her hand out to Richard. "Pleasure to meet you, sir."

Richard took her hand in his, shaking it. "Likewise," he said with a charming smile. He glanced around the room. "Mayor Queen-"

"Won't be joining us this morning, I'm afraid," she explained. "But I'll be standing in his place during your presentation."

Richard eyed the woman for a brief moment, then smiled. "Wait a minute," he said. "Ms. Thea Queen?"

She nodded. "Yes?" she asked, confused.

Richard let out a soft laugh. "I'm sorry, it's just that the last time I ever saw you, it was on the news, & you were REALLY young." Richard stepped back & looked at Thea once more. "Thea Queen, filling in for her big brother as Mayor."

Thea smiled softly, almost blushing. "Yeah, he gets busy with some side projects for the city, so I'm more than capable of handling his meetings."

Richard nodded. "I bet you are," he remarked, arching his brow. He set his briefcase on the table, catching the two gentlemen's attention.

"Mr. Grayson, I'd like you to meet Captain Pike & Lieutenant Conahan of the SCPD," Thea said. Richard shook the suited man's hand, who he assumed was the captain out of uniform. He then shook the officer's hand, who he assumed was the Lieutenant. Richard nodded with a faint smile, then stepped towards the end of the table. The two men sat down on one side of the table, while Thea sat across from them. Richard reached for his briefcase, where he removed a folder containing documents from Wayne Tech, his laptop, & a large envelope. He placed the envelope on top of his briefcase, then held the documents in his hand for a brief moment, scanning over the content one last time. He set it down, then cleared his throat & looked at Thea Queen. "Do you feel safe?" he asked suddenly.