Chapter XV: Outlaws

Richard stood on top of a rooftop in the Star City skyline, waiting. He knew he had to bring Jason home, but, he was still nervous about being able to do it. He felt that he had the ability to do it, but he still wasn't sure if he wanted to. It would just lead to more complications within the Cave, & Richard didn't want to ruin anything else among the family. But he knew he had to. He had to do what was right. He had to bring in Jason Todd.

Richard sighed. He was beginning to question the whole hero thing again. He didn't like having to lie to people, to hurt people constantly. He already did damage to the Titans, to Bruce, to Jason & Barbara...even Cheyenne. Who else would he hurt in the process of being Nightwing?

Suddenly, an arrow was shot between Richard's legs, digging into the gravel of the roof under his feet. The arrow was attached to a grappling rope, which carried a red archer across the city skyline. Arsenal landed smoothly on the rooftop in front of Richard, grinning. "Hey," Roy said.

Richard nodded. "Good to see you back in the suit," Richard said.

Roy nodded back, smiling. "Yeah, it feels good. I see you've upgraded, though," Roy added, gesturing to Richard's blue & black armored suit. "High-tech. Sexy. I dig it."

Richard rolled his eyes. "You have to buy me dinner first," Richard joked, making his way across the rooftop.

Roy followed behind Richard. "So, the Red Hood?"

Richard nodded. "Yeah. Before I left my hotel room, I caught the afternoon news. They're already talking about the Red Hood murders on TV. People are panicking."

Roy shook his head. "I...I just can't wrap my head around this. He...he's back from the dead?"

Richard nodded. "Yeah. I don't know how. I really don't."

"The Pit," Roy whispered to himself.

Richard glanced at Roy, but Roy didn't elaborate. What pit was he talking about? Richard shook his head. It didn't matter. He just needed to find Jason.

Richard reached into his utility belt & grabbed a small PDA device. He tapped the screen, activating the tracking system he had on the device. "The tracker I placed on Todd back at the pier had led me to track him down to the Black Canary's monument. He ditched the tracker, but I noticed something about him. His red hood, the helmet he wears, it's tech. It's electronic, so I decided to start scanning the city for any emissions coming from devices that are traveling quick distances. I filtered out any signals emitting from cell phones & other devices, but there's only one REALLY strong signal that's making big moves across the city."

Roy nodded. "Okay, so that signal is the Red Hood now?"

"Yeah," Richard said. He looked at the PDA screen. "He's actually making his way over to us soon. I want to intercept him."

Just as Richard said this, a motorcycle zipped passed down the street, its engine roaring into the night. Riding the motorcycle was a man with a red helmet. Richard turned to Roy. "You ready?"

"Oh, I've been itching to go for a late night run," Roy joked, getting a head start. He ran across the rooftop, sprinting ahead. Richard followed behind, catching up within a few seconds. Soon, Richard was ahead of Roy, & the two leaped off of the rooftop & managed to land swiftly on the next building. The continued to run across the rooftops, keeping their eyes set on the Red Hood on his motorcycle.

After a while, a van cut out of an alleyway & began chasing the Red Hood. The van opened it's doors & a man poked his arm out, firing an assault rifle out onto the streets. The Red Hood managed to dodge the gunfire, then pulled out a machine pistol from his ankle. He aimed it at the car & shot at its wheels. The car's tire popped, & the car began to swivel out of control. The Red Hood made a hard left as the car continued straight, crashing into a streetlamp.